• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

pedal covers

xtascox

Hard-core CEG'er
I was looking at a set of pedal pads at advance auto a while back and it seemed like the clutch and brake covers would fit fine. But looking at the gas pedal pad compared to the massive plastic pedal in my mystique made me wonder if it would work. I did some searching on the forums but I didn't see anything linke this. Can anybody point me toward some pedals that will work or maybe if this type will? They were the same as these except red and black:drool:

http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductDetail.aspx?MfrCode=AMA&MfrPartNumber=330735&CategoryCode=3128

Last edited:
Blegh...don't get cheapo generic clamp-on pedal covers, they look and fit terrible. Either get custom fit bolt-on covers or leave them alone. If Mystique pedals are the same as Contour ones, which I would imagine they are :shrug: Autovation makes good aluminum covers. http://www.autovationparts.com/store/fordcontour.html

Or you can get really lucky and score a cheap and brand new set of these babies from someone on here. :D (Autovation was forced to stop engraving them so these are rare.)

HPIM0428.jpg

the only problem i have with the Autovation pedal covers is there are no grips on them. if your shoes are even the slightest bit wet they will slide off the pedals.

the only problem i have with the Autovation pedal covers is there are no grips on them. if your shoes are even the slightest bit wet they will slide off the pedals.

I've never heard anyone complain of that. Did you get the same ones as pictured above or a different style? (They offer a few)

Not once has my foot slipped on the pedals and I've heard other CEGers say thats part of the reason why they love the Autovation pedals, very grippy.

Blegh...don't get cheapo generic clamp-on pedal covers, they look and fit terrible. Either get custom fit bolt-on covers or leave them alone. If Mystique pedals are the same as Contour ones, which I would imagine they are :shrug: Autovation makes good aluminum covers. http://www.autovationparts.com/store/fordcontour.html

Or you can get really lucky and score a cheap and brand new set of these babies from someone on here. :D (Autovation was forced to stop engraving them so these are rare.)

HPIM0428.jpg

I like those alot, I think I'll pick my self up some. And just to make sure that the contour gas pedal is the same. Is it one solid plastic piece that goes all the way up to the throttle cable?

I do have that problem sometimes. I just make sure my shoes are fairly dry. Besides that though I still think they are the best pedals out there.

i dont have autovation pedals but i have driven a car that had them. try heel/toe downshifting with wet shoes on. it doesnt work so well. my foot constantly slipped off the brake pedal. i personally have the cheap autozone "crap". if you take the time to actually fit them properly then the fit is just fine. the gas pedal is difficult and you will have to mount them like the autovation pedals for it. i have found that my pedals offer significantly more grip than the autovation set i drove on. but thats just my opinion.

Interesting...I've never had a problem with slipping, even wearing really old shoes with no texture on the soles and wet. The Autovation pedals have raised aluminum rings where the holes are, and they really grab your shoes. I don't think I'd want to drive on them barefoot! Heel & toeing is actually possible with these since the gas pedal has extra material on the left side, and I haven't had a problem with slipping.

And yes, the Contour gas pedal is solid plastic all the way up and has a slight angle back near the top of the pedal, as you can see in the pic. If the Mystique is like that these should be fine. You drill your own holes anyway.

but why would you do covers when you could simply replace the contique pedals with those nice drilled ones out of a late model cougar???? simple to do, plug and play, no drilling required, the hardest thing is to take off the gas pedal assembly and replace it with the cougar one. add the dead pedal if you like. score a set at your local you-pull-it and you're good to go!

lakeside

but why would you do covers when you could simply replace the contique pedals with those nice drilled ones out of a late model cougar???? simple to do, plug and play, no drilling required, the hardest thing is to take off the gas pedal assembly and replace it with the cougar one. add the dead pedal if you like. score a set at your local you-pull-it and you're good to go!

lakeside

Now you're talking. Nothing beats OEM fit and quality ;)

I personally think the Cougar pedals are ugly, but that's just my opinion. :shrug:

Definitely your opinion. I like mine and they actually have rubber grips on them to keep your feet from sliding. They look 10x better than the stock ones and go on super easy. I tried the screw on ones and didn't like them :shrug: The cougar ones get my vote.

I have the cheapo ones pictured, but for an automatic. The gas pedal fits fine; you need to off-set it a bit so it's not too close to the brake pedal.

The pedals come with the stuff to be attached with clamps and stuff. Save yourself the hassle: tear off the extra junk so it's just a pedal cover, then take a few screws and washers, drill through the pedal, and bolt them on.

I just bough some earlier today, from Advance Auto Parts- they are made by American Products Company. I had the same situation, the clutch and the brake fit fine, and I loosened the gas pedal brackets on the back and much as I could, and I just tweaked with them for about 20 minutes and finally got them to fit- it doesn't fit exactly, but unless you get right down there and look at them you won't notice. That's what I would suggest.

Jack

well it seems that my SVT has the same pedals that are in the original post, I can say they are really grippy and that was the readon they where installed, also some brackets where made up to make them really secure.

index.php

now I have the autovation pedals in my SeVT, I loke those alot. I think I may have had a problem with my foot slipping once or twice, otherwise its a good all around pedal

to bad they don't look this nice anymore ...

index.php

Back