• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

flushing manual trans?

98TredSVT

Veteran CEG'er
Is there a way to flush the trans of any ATF remains? My previous owner had mobil 1 ATF in the trans. Terry Haines told me that it makes the trans get tight and certain parts don't move like they should after even a short amount of time driving with ATF in our trans. Also he said that you can't really ever get it all out, I'm running royal purple right now, is there some kind of flush additive that you run for only a few miles?

ATF was factory fill for that transmission for all but the last few months of production. It has not been such a huge problem. I really think you are overly concerned. If you feel strongly about it, just change out the new fluid a little sooner than you would otherwise.

Personally, I found the Chrysler spec ATF+3 or ATF+4 to work extremely well in our transmission. Nearly as well as Ford Honey, and much better than Mercon.

If you are looking at the Chrysler ATF+3 or ATF+4, brand doesn't matter, as the license agreement demands that the base stock be identical and that the same identical additive package be used. I have used both Quaker State and Mopar.

If you are looking at Ford Honey, there is only one choice, Ford's Motorcraft brand.

In the Ford TSB that introduced Ford Honey, it said that it was required fill for cars built after early 2000, and recommended for either refill or topping off for those built earlier.

If you are looking for a really good aftermarket synthetic for manual transmissions in general, many have reported that they like Royal Purple. From experience with other transmissions, Torco should also be exceptional. Torco is available from BAT www.batinc.lnet

Stay away from RedLine MTL. Whatever you choose, make sure that it is specified for use in manual transmissions. Stay away from oils that are intended for differential use.

Back