• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

So.... vacuum leak

Redstar

CEG'er
Call me crazy, but that's probably what the on/off cel (I can't get it read without going to the dealer or buying a scanner), occasional whistle at stop, and wooshing sound from under the hood after shut down all mean. So, how do I go about hunting this thing down? I looked through the records of the car, and it was brought in with codes 0401 and 1405. They replaced both the ium and lim gaskets and the "dpfe"(?) sensor, and recalibrated the pcm, which supposedly solved the problem. Also the car apperently was borught in with code 0430, and they said it needed a new cat. I find that highly unlikely.

Do you have any Autozones around, they will ussually scan for free. To find a vaccuum leak, get a can of carb cleaner, spray all the hoses you see, one at a time, with car idling. When you hear idle dip, that is the hose most likely causing the leak. Hope that helps.

May want to check the 2 rubber hoses that connect the rear exhaust manifold to the DPFE sensor. They sometimes can slide off, and that may cause your codes, too. They are about halfway up the rear manifold.

^ Agreed. :)

If you can get the codes read, post them. DO NOT listen to what the AutoZone guy tells you the problem is, get the code numbers.

Advance Auto Parts will also scan your vehicle for free and even give you a nice printout of the codes if you ask.

About the whole Auto Zone thing, they only have OBD II scanners. My car is, unfortunately, incompatible. By the way, what/where is the dpfe sensor? Spraying carb cleaner on ruber hoses will not damage them?

Last edited:
Last edited:
Ah yes. I thought I owned a 95 for a minute there. Wow.
I'm having a little trouble analyzing the autozone piture. It shows it mounted in the Zetec location. Where is it on the duratec? What is the best way to get at the hoses?

Vaccum Leaks

Vaccum Leaks

If you are having vacuum leaks, with the age of the car, you probably need to replace the vaccum bundle at the back of the intake manifold.

Bob

Back