• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Oil filter question

LauraSVT

I'm a dude, no really!
Apparently, Lincoln did not figure that owners of their flagship luxury automobile would be changing their own oil. You cannot get the filter out with the suspension loaded. It requires a jack or a lift. I was not in the mood to monkey with the floor jack since the car was already up on ramps, opting instead to put the old filter back on and regroup later. I did, however, get the oil changed, having already drained it. :D

To be specific, once unscrewed, the filter is blocked by a motor mount on one side and a sway bar on the other. The steering knuckle and headers block it from exiting from above. It doesn't miss by much, but in this case it doesn't matter if its an inch or a mile -- stuck is stuck. I prefer to do this stuff myself, and since I always remove the filter after draining the crankcase, I have a question: What kind of oil volume would you expect if the filter were removed with the pan full? Like most systems, the filter is above the pan level by a little bit, so I'm inclined to think it would go pretty smoothly. Perhaps someone can share their firsthand experience, whether with the Contour or any other car.

if the engine has been sitting just as long (a good while) then removing the filter with the case still full should deplete about as much as if you drain the oil first.

The only remaining oil should be what is physically trapped in the filter itself.

The only time I can think that would affect the amount of discharge you get from the filter would be if you JUST shut the car off and oil is still draining from the heads, walls, and passages(etc).

I can (and do) change my filter without draining the oil first (when on the other cars).. I get ABOUT .8 quarts removed, so I top off with a replacement quart and I am good to go. I wouldn't expect any trouble removing your filter and replacing, just top it off with the amount you lost (a quart? maybe? wait and see?)

Doubt it would be very much just pulling the filter first. 1/2 quart maybe if that. Done it before on a Contour to see.

Turn the wheels full lock to the right, filter should come right out. I've worked in the quick lube at a Ford dealer for the last 3 years, the old Vic, Marquis and t cars are all this way, until they went to rack and pinion steering. I should also mention we always take them out from the front side. I haven't had a car yet that we couldn't get the filter out of with it sitting on the ground and I know I've done some 93 town Cars.

Back