• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Recurring carbon tracking

getsum111

Yes I am a Pirate, 200 years too late.
I'm at my wits end. I have replaced plugs, wires, and coil, installed MSDS, checked about every sensor (TPS,CPK,CPS,IAT), checked injectors using noid light, plus some other stuff I have probably forgotten. I stillkeep getting carbon tracking on my #1 plug. I used new sockets to install it, used dielectric grease, gapped plugs to .054, everything. I can go fro about 700 miles, then I need to pull the boot and reinstall the grease again, as I can't afford to keep buying new plugs and wires everytime (gone thru 3 sets of each already, installed new ones together). Does anyone have any ideas about what the heck could keep this coming back? I'ts making me sad. :cry:

Scott,

I thought you were close.. Freeland, PA, nope, you're over where I grew up. I started to post an invite to stop by and I'd try to offer an explanation. I'm an electrical guy.

But you're not close, so I'll gather some thoughts on the subject and post what I come up with.

Gar

Last edited:
Scott,

Tell me where the trace is. Does it lead from the cap down the side over the porcelin to the steel hex body of the plug? Or does it end short of either cap or base? What type of grease have you coated it with last? Do you also put grease in the rubber end of the wire? Are there sooty places on either the outside of the rubber, or from inside to outside on the end of the rubber boot?
What plug are you using?

The things I want to explore are cracks in the porcelin, and why they form.
Faulty plugs that may not conduct to the spark tip, making the trip outside the plug more desirable.
The boot.

Facts (and please excuse me if you know these things already, I don't mean any disrespect for your knowledge)

It's tough to break down air at the gap to the point where it can form an arc.

The larger the gap, the harder it is to arc.

The energy will mindlessly take the easiest path.

From the very first trip down the wrong side of the plug, that pathway is more desirable than jumping the gap.

Each additional trip makes it more desirable as any material that can be heated to a carbonized state improves that path's conductivity.

Give me some more background, and I think we'll either conclude that the porcelin is getting cracked, or the grease has already become compromised and needs to be completely removed, or the boot is damaged and providing the pathway, leaving a misleading mark down the side of the plug.

In the electrical repair world I have observed, high voltage circuits are designed specifically to minimize potential alternative paths. Dust is often the initial culprit. Even household voltages can lead to carbon tracks. Outdoor circuits where contaminents settle on a surface, and moisture is present will form tracks. Once the intended insulator has been burnt, it is often nessessary to cut it completely out to eliminate any remaining carbon.

Gar

Last edited:
Gar,
Thanks for the response. I will try to get a pic of the tracking this weekend. I'm using Taylor Thundervolt wires, and Autolite APP764 plugs. Most of the tracking seems to begin just under the cap, and seems to stop well short of the steel hex body. Now on the wire's boot, there are marks that seems to run the whole way down the boot, looking almost like it is "loosening up" as the engine gets hotter, if that makes any sense to you. Hopefully the pics will help describe this situation. I'm using the little packets of dielectric grease that they sell at the counter at autozone, don't remember the brand name. More info to come with pics.

Scott,
It's not by chance that the porcelin on a spark plug is as tall as it is. It's designed specifically to present a length long enough to allow the gap to be jumped instead of along the outside. In fact, the ridges common on the porcelin are there to increase the distance on the surface of the outside. I'll look up the plug and see what type resistance it has inside so we get a practical sense of inside path vs outside path ratio. I think you mentioned an MDS. If you've made the spark hotter, the job of insulating is more critical. I have a little jig made from a motorcycle coil I use to burn tracks loose inside TV picture tubes. If you had some junk lying around, a high tension source could be fashioned to apply HV to just the plug to see if there's an arc forming inside the porcelin. Or how about this. One of those old plug wires that you've Xed. Trim the boot back so that you can see the plug, but still have it firing the plug. This would allow you to see the plug in question in the dark, right on the car. Again, arcs occuring inside the plug or from a point on the porcelin to the side of the plug well are an indication of a cracked porcelin, or an overcooked internal resistor core. Spark plugs aren't light bulbs, so if yours lights up, it's bad. It's so easy to damage a plug, there's no shame. Let me know how things progress.

Gar

No MDS, is said MSDS, as in headers.:laugh: I did get a new coil, but it is a stock one, as I have been told that the stock coil is good for any performance I would need. I'll check your other advice, though.

Back