• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Anyone know the die size and pitch for the stick shift shaft?

gliderjoe

New CEG'er
I have the Steeda short throw shifter and want to shorten the shaft length by 1/3". I plan to use a die to create the additional threads and a dremel to cut off the extra shaft length. I will leave the die on the shaft during the cutting process so that I can back out the threads at the top. Does anyone see anything wrong with this approach?

search around the old forum as I believe it was posted by Elky at one time, but I don't recall what it was off hand ...

I don't know the answer, but most any tap and die set will have a thread gauge. Use it. Chances are the threads are metric, with a 1.25 or 1.5 pitch.

What's the point of cutting 1/3"? Are you really even going to see any difference at all?

Doesn't seem like it's worth the trouble for such a minor change.

What's the point of cutting 1/3"? Are you really even going to see any difference at all?

Doesn't seem like it's worth the trouble for such a minor change.

ha, I read it as he wants to shorten it 1/3 of the original length ... not 1/3 of an inch ...

M12 X 1.25 (fine thread)

These are from B&M, which says they have stock dims. If you want to double check give them a call its on there computer.

Can someone tell me what the length of the B&M shifter is? Then all the info I need to cut down my Steeda will be in this thread. Thanks.

Back