• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

opening switches

Matt R

Hard-core CEG'er
I need some help regarding window/lock switches. How do you open these correctly?

Also, I need the stats of voltage and stuff in the switches for LEDs (resistors, etc). Who ever can help me out may get 1/2 off in a full LED interior switch group buy coming up... ;)

I used a pick to open mine. There is 4 areas that the top section locks together with the bottom.

Slip a pick or very small flat head under one side and lift. Then tilt the top of the switch towards the opposite side while pulling up.

It's way to hard to explain, and once you figure it out, you'll see what I'm talking about and how easy it is.

Last edited:
I yanked apart the master switch on my 96 GL, and there were a few springy deals that popped out that I had to search for. It was obvious where they went, but was a pain to find them.

So do this somewhere where you won't lose stuff.

I've had the window switches apart before and they already were LED. If you have one open look at the resistor the factory used. Read the color bands and decode with a resisor color band chart.

Back