• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Lost my keys. Help

98gl

New CEG'er
I have a 98 contour gl that I purchased a couple of years ago as a project car. It ran good but had a bad tranny. I asked a few questions about the transmission on this forum back then and people were very helpful. Also, I sold several parts to members here from a wrecked contour that I bought for the transmission .Well I finally got around to working on it and I have lost the keys. Is there an easy way to tell if the car has PATS or not? Hoping to find some help once again even though I haven't posted in a long time. Thanks

its a 98 GL. its probably a pretty good assumption that its a zetec.

either way just go to dealer with proof that you do own the car and the VIN number. they should be able to cut you a new key. if they cant then you will have to replace all the lock cylinders with new ones that have a key.

If the dealer can't cut you a new key, just get a locksmith to cut you one. That would be cheaper than getting a set of locks and ignition with the same key.

key sets where discontinued awhile ago for the contour from Ford ... but the Focus set will work, or find someone parting out a car, thats what I did :laugh:

The dealer would not cut me a new key because I could not show proof of ownership. I have the title to the car but I never had it transferred to my name. I started pulling the locks yesterday. The front door wasn't too bad but I am having trouble with the ignition. Apparently I will have to do some drilling to get it out.

to answer your question:

If you remove the lower steering collum cover. Then look at the ignition cylinder there will be a black halo, attached at the bottom with a 3 or 5(cant remember exactly) wire plug, around the lock cylinder if it is pats or it will not if it does not have pats.

The dealer would not cut me a new key because I could not show proof of ownership. I have the title to the car but I never had it transferred to my name. I started pulling the locks yesterday. The front door wasn't too bad but I am having trouble with the ignition. Apparently I will have to do some drilling to get it out.

If yu cant find the key or cant get one made then you may have to drill. Whether it is pats or not. You can get a key made(non pats) and remove the tumbler.

Once you get a key. remove the lower cover on the under side of the steering collum. Then insert the key and turn it one possition(or click) to acc. Then take a very small screw driver, instert it into the small circular hole at the top. Pull on the key and the tumbler will come out.

note: Removal of tumble will work on any contour (pats and non pats). As the Pats system will not effect tumbler removal( you can use a non-pats cut key to remove it)

Hope that makes sense and helps.(sorry about my grammar)
-Devan

Last edited:
Devan ,
I see the hole you are talking about. The locksmith can't make me a key either without the cylinder. So I guess I will have to drill. Thanks for all the help.

Devan ,
I see the hole you are talking about. The locksmith can't make me a key either without the cylinder. So I guess I will have to drill. Thanks for all the help.

why can't he use the one from the door then? its the same key ...

I may give that a try. But I remember the locksmith saying something about different cuts on the same key. They said to make the proper key I would need one door cylinder and the ignition cylinder. But if I have to destroy the ignition cylinder to get it out I may as well buy a complete lock and key set from a junk car and skip going to a locksmith.

Yes, proving ownership would be easier but more expensive than just getting some keys to work. To get the title transfered I have to have proof of insurance, then pay 6% taxes on retail value, a sheriffs inspection fee, and tags. I really don't want to throw another $250 to $300 into a car I don't plan on keeping. I just want to sell it or part it out. But I would like to be able to show the buyer that the car does run. And it would be a lot easier to put on a trailer if I could use the steering wheel.

...it would be a lot easier to put on a trailer if I could use the steering wheel.

sure would, but thats what winches are for. It happened to some cars in my complex over the summer. Cars in park and wheels turned, they just dragged them up the ramp, front wheels whining all the way.

I had to drill it out. But I got it out without damaging anything. Thanks for everyones suggestions.

I am impressed. I put the new key cylinder in along with some fresh fuel and a new battery and the car fired right up.

Back