• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Orignal Plugs? Look at PICS

Post the exact name and model of your OBDII "scanner" and we will be able to tell you if yours is capable of real time live data or not.

Well its one off ebay, the auction said it showed live time data. I remember seeing coolant temp, ign timing, maf and a few others.

Looks like 96 software does not offered?

Looks like 96 software does not offered?

http://www.motorcraftservice.com/vdirs/retail/default.asp?pageid=diag_theory_retail&gutsid=diagsheet

I get the feeling all these scanners have different ways and/or categories to locate live test data, anyways?
I have a old laptop with software and adapter on serial cable from http://www.obd-2.com/. Years ago CEG had several group buys from Alex.

Like BigJim was talking about getting good start to the flame front consistently. I thinking this low rate/high rate counts would show this up.

On my 98's software this Low Rate & High rate is separate from, I call, hard misfires 0301-0308 codes. I don't have the Pid numbers in my head but they are in Ford's "enhanced" "data" section. Again this is using Alex Peppers unit.
Anyhow this Motorcraft site explains all the Pids for those interested. I have access to the 2005/2006 DVD (all models stuffed dual sided) and after back dating my computer to the month I'd burnt (shame on me) It's so hard to learn anything now days with all the proprietary-ness. I read thru the Misfire data explanations and it seems all pretty much the same.
If anyone out knows what Ford's intended reason for providing this to the mechanics, I'd be very interested. So far it's been self-taught dabbling for me. Or it may only be for number crunching that the software uses for cats health????
I do know early on the factory fine tips where changed with only 18k and the high counts went away. The butt dyno had a definite better feel on the low end and mileage up a little. Bosch platinums---I was one of many that learned the hard way these plugs do NOT like firing backwards. AKA the rear bank. Well not for long!
Any question ask!
Paul

OOPS yes It does "ubnpast" it's just the low count monitors. The PID looks like they would $50's without looking at a 96 with my set-up I can't say for sure.

Last edited:
i run NGK TR55 plugs with the standard copper core. mainly because i use an aftermarket ignition that cannot use anything but a standard core plug. but i cannot tell the difference between those and a double platinum plug. plus they cost me 2.11 apiece at napa.

Ok, lately when I start the car cold, I step on the gas I get hesatation/ it stalls, even when I go to take off when im in 1st gear the car stalls. It seems to be getting worse as time goes by. It seems to run fine after the 1st time stalling, the exhaust puffs out a small amount of blue smoke and smells strongly of gas not of oil.

I took these readings after driving 3 miles home from work, then turned the car off for about 5 minutes then started it back up and idle:
Fuel sys 1: using H02s
Fuel sys 2: using H02s
Coolant : 171 (but was at 184 by the time I got done writing this down)
ST FTRM1 %: Ranged from 15.6-20.3
LT FTRM1 % : 3.8
ST FTRM2 % : fluxuating around 21
LT FTRM2 % : 3.8
RPM : Ranged from 719-744
IGN adv deg : 5
IAT : 64 deg
MAF : 0
ABSLT TPS : 18.4
02S11 : Volts ranging from (.075-.785) 2.3 %
02S12 : Volts ranging from (.240-.735)
02S21 : Volts ranging from (.095-.760) (from 0-3.5%)
02S22 : Volts ranging from (.750-.760)

Does anyone have any ideas what the misfire low and high count is? Also what the problem could be from this data?

Make sure you gap your new plugs before you install them. The old ones I replaced in my car all had the same wear on them, but each one was gapped differently.......anywhere from .042 to .058. I'm guessing they were never gapped prior to being installed. I installed new Denso Iridiums gapped at .052 and now it runs soooooo much smoother.

MAF V pid #88

MAF V pid #88

Got this from my 98 Cd manual

KOEO key on engine off 0 dcv

Hot idle .6-.9

30 mph .9-1.1

55 mph 1.1-1.6

On the way home today the car was idling at 2k rpm's, i tried revving it up to see if it would drop but still leveled out to 2k. I shut the car off while rolling down the road then started it back up, it then idled normally.

bump, still starts up rough. I unplugged the MAF when the car was cold, started it up and I felt it miss for about 3 seconds and it bogged right down for 10 or so seconds, black smoke was coming out the back like a diesel for 30 or so seconds at about 4k.

I also read about the intake gasket problem that others have been having, but I dont think I am having the same problem..

After the first minute or so the car runs fine.

Basic Duratec things to try..

Basic Duratec things to try..

Make sure battery terminals are tight/clean and battery isn't the old original. Try PepBoys for the double platinum plugs (iirc Autolite) they were pretty cheap there, gap them, maybe replace your ignition wires (Autolite/Motorcraft), clean IAC, check intake airfilter, EGR valve has a green 90 degree elbow that breaks and causes the engine to act up..

Back