• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Total brake failure while driving!!!!!!!

Brian97vobra

New CEG'er
Ok so today i went out and noticed my brakes had very little use to them! The pedal would go all the way down to the floor but if it touched the floor then the brakes would work, but just barely.
So i go home and check the fluid and noticed it was low so i filled it up and decided to go out for another drive. But the same thing happened... Pedal goes all the way to the floor and then when it hits the floor it will barely brake. Well anyways i go about a mile down the road and coming up to a stoplight when BAM no brakes no nothing at all!!!! So i make a sharp right turn at the light, to avoid going through the entire intersection, and thankfully there were no cars coming! Then i limped my way home going very slowly and downshifting to slow down and come to a stop.
WTF is up!?!!?!?!?!:shrug: :mad:

So the fluid hasn't gone down at since refilling?

Can't think off the top of my head what else would do that, but did have an issue with the taurus where the brake was getting real spongy because the cable to the e brake had come off the linkage/"star" thing - cannot remember what the mechanic called it and was preventing it from tensioning itself.

Maybe a brake line is starting to go and is flexing/bulging rather than staying rigid?

Happend to me before, ended up being a hole in a Stainless brake line... it all dripped into the A-arm / subframe

Well went back out and checked on the car. Yep the brake fluid is totally empty. And guess what? A huge puddle underneath the car! lol
It's right underneath sorta by the gas tank and where the exhaust meets up into a Y at the back. So i'm guessing the steel line must have gotten rusted through. But you can't even see it since it goes back underneath some sheet metal.
I'm hoping this isn't going to be very costly to repair. :(

I've had a stainless steel line wear through by rubbing against something. Fortunately my total brake failure happened in a rest area parking lot after getting off the interstate. Pedal went to the floor... so I didn't bother driving it and got it towed.

I had something similar happen when I was building my SHO project car, April.

We'd finally gotten to the point where we could test the car on the street, so I grabbed the keys and took her out for a hell run. Took it real easy, just cruised down the street and back to the shop, a few miles in all. We put the nose in the air to check a few things. From under the car, my buddy asked me to put the car in drive and let off the brake while idling, just to check the drivetrain componentry.

"Hit the brake!" he shouted. I pressed the brake. It went to the floor in an awful hurry.

"I have no brakes up here!" I shouted back. "Pedal just went to the floor!"

"Put it in park!" he yelled. Park? You kidding? That was the last thing that seemed like a good idea.

"You sure about that?" I asked. "I have no brakes!"

"Park!" What the hell? Park it is, then. Ridiculous. A grind ensued that resembled a jammed food processor combined with the spinning of the Wheel of Fortune. This whole event lacked rationality.

"Don't you know that you have to put your foot on the brake before you put it in Park?!" came the voice from under the car.

"Of course I do! I've been trying to tell you that I have no brakes up here -- you keep telling me to put it into Park!"

We had all four lines done at a nearby shop that was less likely to kink the tubing in fifteen places than we were. Though they did not need to go all the way up to the distribution block, they did most of the car. $401.

I had something similar happen when I was building my SHO project car, April.

We'd finally gotten to the point where we could test the car on the street, so I grabbed the keys and took her out for a hell run. Took it real easy, just cruised down the street and back to the shop, a few miles in all. We put the nose in the air to check a few things. From under the car, my buddy asked me to put the car in drive and let off the brake while idling, just to check the drivetrain componentry.

"Hit the brake!" he shouted. I pressed the brake. It went to the floor in an awful hurry.

"I have no brakes up here!" I shouted back. "Pedal just went to the floor!"

"Put it in park!" he yelled. Park? You kidding? That was the last thing that seemed like a good idea.

"You sure about that?" I asked. "I have no brakes!"

"Park!" What the hell? Park it is, then. Ridiculous. A grind ensued that resembled a jammed food processor combined with the spinning of the Wheel of Fortune. This whole event lacked rationality.

"Don't you know that you have to put your foot on the brake before you put it in Park?!" came the voice from under the car.

"Of course I do! I've been trying to tell you that I have no brakes up here -- you keep telling me to put it into Park!"

We had all four lines done at a nearby shop that was less likely to kink the tubing in fifteen places than we were. Though they did not need to go all the way up to the distribution block, they did most of the car. $401.

Note to self, turn car off while still in drive then press brake and put into park. :laugh:

Back