• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

A brighter future

Deweydw

CEG'er
I have a 96 Contour Sport (GL) 2.0 Zetec. (Original owner) It has been a great car over the years. Has had it share of problems. But this last week I thought I may have to give it up for something new. Then I found this site and gave me renewed hope for the car. One main problem I had was the o/d light flashing. Searched the web all over for info. I even have Chiltondiy. After reading some of the forums, I concluded, hoped, the problem was the speed sensor. I changed it out this past weekend and seems to have fixed the problem. But I just wanted to say how informative and helpful this site has been.

Thanks... :cool:

Welcome :) . You may also want to consider changing the ATFluid.

I thought about doing that. But had it changed out earlier this year when I blew a hose and it over heated. Still wouldn't be a bad idea, huh? Also, read somewhere that the PCM has to relearn when you change out a sensor, or something to that affect. I say that because after changing the speed sensor, the o/d light flashed on my way home from work on Monday. But not since. And the rpm may drop below 500 when idling or at at stop light.

" Still wouldn't be a bad idea, huh?"

Correct. Change the ATFluid. If you drove maybe 50 miles or so, you probably toasted the fluid.

"Also, read somewhere that the PCM has to relearn when you change out a sensor, or something to that affect."

Correct.

"I say that because after changing the speed sensor, the o/d light flashed on my way home from work on Monday. But not since. And the rpm may drop below 500 when idling or at at stop light."

Yes.

Edit. Unisys1 in his VSS change how to.

"Reason for sensor replacement - Notice about a week ago that when traveling over bumpy roads, that my speedometer would fluctuate +/- 5mph. Monday, of this week, it progressivly got worse (of course) and the speedo would actually stay at 0 when taking off from a stand still, as well as droping to 0 when I let off the gas. In only 60 miles of driving, on that day, it managed to toast the ATF I had in there, which only had about 5K on it. Yes, I have also changed my ATF as well."

Last edited:
Thanks, I'll see about doing that this weekend. Also, I have just over 138k on the car. Missed out on the wiring harness extended warranty. :mad:

Thanks, I'll see about doing that this weekend. Also, I have just over 138k on the car. Missed out on the wiring harness extended warranty. :mad:
It's not terribly difficult to do yourself. It'll cost you between $150-$200 for the harness, depending on where you purchase it. Make sure you can do without your car for a couple of days, as it will take MUCH MUCH longer than the 1.9 labor hours listed in the recall. kerrykool or I can answer questions you may have, as we are the two most recent to do this fun fun task.

I have vacation set up in November. I think had read some of your postings on here about changing out the harness. That incouraged me to do the same. I understand that there are three seperate harnesses? My wires have become brittle. It cost me a bunch a year or so ago on the cooling system. All said and done, new radiator, cooling fan, and switches.

Welcome! Congrats of finding the forum and fixing your issue! It's always rewarding to diagnose and fix your problems without taking it into the shop!

Definitely read up on the tranny fluid changes. There is a quick drain and fill proceedure that I try to do every few oil changes and my ATX is running strong!

Welcome! Congrats of finding the forum and fixing your issue! It's always rewarding to diagnose and fix your problems without taking it into the shop!quote]

Thanks.. It has been very rewarding. Before I found this site, the other sites were so negative. They would post what's wrong with their contour and not really doing anything about it except complain. I've had problems in the past, water pump, half shafts, ect. But I like my car and want to keep it and in good running condition. I'm no mechanic, but I get a certain satisfaction when I do repair something and it works... Plus saving cash on parts and labor. Also, after seeing some mods on here... well, need to fix the problems first. then see about mods. :cool:

Welcome to CEG. Where in the Houston area are you?

East side, Deer Park. I work down town Houston. So my car gets mostly highway driving. In the morning, wide open. A little heavier in the afternoon. Get bogged down at gulf freeway and 610. Once I get past that, it opens up somewhat. Where are you in Houston?

Back