• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

O2 Sensors locations

lunaru

New CEG'er
Hi to all, and hope someone can help me on this.

I have a 97 contour 2.5, but the check engine is turned on. when i put the scanner it shows that one of the 02 sensors is damaged. I have seen just 2 02 sensors in the front of the car and just 1 in the the back near the firewall.

Is this the qty of the o2 sensors ? I was thinking there should be at least 4 sensors. Am I right?

Regards

Well, there's no such thing as a code for an O2 sensor "damaged". What is the actual DTC?

You have 4 sensors. One on each exhaust manifold (one is below your coil pack, is difficult to see, and is the one that seems to fail the most...) before the pre-cat and one on the downstream side of each precat.

Steve

Can't remember

Can't remember

Well, I can't remeber the code that is showing; tomorrow morning will take it to the dealer and check for the code, the only thing I remember is that the computer shows "POOR PERFORMANCE" on the cat.

What I'am 100% sure is that I can only see 3 of the 02 sensor, it seems that the previous owner has remove the back cat.

It is possible that the computer read "that code due to the missed cat ?

Last edited:
The exhaust manifold on the front bank has two 02 sensors, one above the pre-cat and one below. The manifold on the rear bank has one 02 sensor mounted above the pre-cat (can be found underneath the stock coil pack location) and the other 02 sensor for the rear bank is on the Y-pipe section before the main cat.

...and the "back cat" isn't monitored by any sensors, anyway.

You likely have a catalyst efficiency code. Get the code and plug it into the SEARCH engine. It's a very common discussion.

Steve

It's a frequent discussion because it is often a phantom code. It sets when there really isn't anything wrong.

Before you jump into spending hundreds of dollars that you don't need to spend look into it.

Hi to all, and sorry for very late reply.

Well, I took the car to a dealer and it show P0420 and P0430 codes.

But they didnt tell which was the correct sensor to replace.

Any Idea?

Back