• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Looking for a New Drill for car audio application

SVT3Rivieres

CEG'er
*** Note that all the price are listed in canadian dollars***

i went to shop around the big store today looking for a new drill and i narrow down my choice a bit but im still not sure

the one who gave me the best impression was the Bosch Litheon pocket driver 10.8V... its was the more pricy.. 178$ and it can only load 1/4 HEX... making it quck to change but cannot fit 1/2 bits in and only turn up to 400RPM - 80lbs of torque.

51SC002DGYL.jpg

around 130-140$ there was 3 choice all running up to 1200rpm (2speed) 400lbs of torque
- Dewalt 9.6V (3 year warranty)
- Makita 14.4V (1 Year warranty)
- Hitachi 18V (5 year warranty)

in those 3 the one who catch my eye the most was the Hitachi, but i barely seen people working with them before, it was 137$ and its coming with 2 bat, charger + a flashligh (using the same batt)

DS18DVF3_web.jpg_prod_mx.jpg

so any input or review? do you think the bosch worth the difference and will it perform enough for most job ?

i used to worked with a dewalt at work.. they are good but they are more expensive for the same thing.. to have something similar as the hitachi i need to pay about 80$ more.

I have the dewalt 9.6 and I love it it is awesome for small to medium jobs but i would use something else for drilling bigger holes. I highly recommend it.

Ok so I was a Carpenter for 27yrs and in the 90's we started using Hitachi over Makita tools. First because they were cheaper and later because they held up and did a reasonable job.

In the choices you have presented I'd say go with the Hitachi 18V (5 year warranty).

Why..... well there is my personal expirence with those tools and their preformance. Next more power (18V) means longer work time, they have the longest warranty, and are the cheapest.... just seems like a no brainer...:laugh: and they look cool you just want to grab it and go make a hole someplace LOL

My 2 cents,
AF

ok i made my choice.. i went with the same hitachi but i found a 14.4V for a bit less money... same design as the 18V but lighter cause of the smaller bat

your right aussie ford... the design is so nice that i kept playing with it last night :p

I was just not sure at first about hitachi cause i never heard of their reputation in powertools... but so far im not disapointed

FWIW I got a ryobi 18v set for 100 that had 2 batt light and skill saw. It was well worth the cash.

I have a cheap ass harbor freight 18V drill, I think it's made by Drill Master, with an extra battery, and it was probably like 30 dollars... Thing runs forever on one battery, plus I have a 6" hitachi extension for it, best magnet on an extension I've ever had, got the extension at Lowes.

Back