• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Whats your Fuel Economy?

Cucamongan

New CEG'er
Hey everybody,

If this has not been done before (maybe on the old forum?:shrug:) I wanted to know what you got, miles, whats the fuel economy and whats your driving style (Granny, slow, goes with the flow, Semi-Aggressive, HARD)

I'll Start

'98 Contour V6, 106K miles, and so far the best MPG is 23, Semi-Aggressive driving style.

I feel the 23 MPG is kinda low, and I really wanted to get an idea what everyone else gets.

99 SVT with 122K, stock engine & exhaust other than K&N air filter

I have a comprehensive Excel sheet for this. Overall average since I bought it is a little over 27 mpg. Mostly highway driving with the occasional backroad flogging for exercise. The highest economy I've gotten on a tank is 31, the lowest is 21, and that was with me driving all city and also letting my gf putter around a parking lot in 1st gear for a long time.

Keeping all intake components clean, running good synthetic oil and premium gas (SVT), and maintaining your tire pressures are pretty key to maximizing mileage for whatever driving style you have.

Car: 1999 SVT Contour #1205 Bone stock except for K & N air filter;
Driving style: reasonable
MPG w/o A/C on the highway: 28.5
MPG with A/C on the highway: 25.0
MPG in town with A/C: 20.0
MPG in town w/o A/C: 22.0
I run Amsoil Synthetic, premium fuel, and tire pressure of 40 psi.

Duratec Block ATX, 81,000 miles within the next week, mods listed in sig:

Worst to best:
Winter with bad O2 sensors, defroster, heater, short trips: 14 MPG
Winter Defroster, driving non highway: 17-18MPG
Winter mostly highway, defroster, heater: 21MPG
Summer Driving mix of short trip, highway, alot of AC: 23-24MPG
Summer Driving Highway with AC off and on: 26.5MPG

Best:Worst
27.3:14.2
(Fixed LOL!)

Runs 87 Octane, I have tried 89 a few times starting from a near empty tank, but hasn't made a difference.

Last edited:
On a recent 4 tank highway trip I averaged 29.2.
'98 SVT going 5 over the speed limit.

Newer plugs, K&N cone filter w/heat shield, BAT high flow cat and Y-pipe.

Otherwise it usually gets about 24 around town.

Best:Worst
14.2:27.3

Your figures are BACKWARDS. ;)

'99 Mystique V-6 ATX with 134k miles: Typical mileage is around 23mpg in mixed driving. I drive pretty hard 'cause I love the sound of the car with the SVT exhaust & open element filter.

I've gotten 28mpg on the highway, again driving hard. I've also gotten as much as 27mpg in mixed driving just to see how good it could get if I baby the car - and that was with a trunk full of tools & golf clubs.

I bought an SCT XCAL 2 so I hope to tweak the AF to bump those number up before I drop in the 3L. My first ATX V-6 Contour had gotten as much as 33mpg on the highway, and 25 mpg around town mixed driving was not uncommon. I loved that car... :cry:

My SE powered SVT gets 24mpg consistently in town with the air running. Highway only stretches out to 28mpg because I drive 80-85mph.

Im consistantly getting 28 mpg on the Contour and the Mystique. I drive them both pretty hard.

2006 Triumph Daytona 675

Running at high RPMS about 41mpg
Crusing on the Highway aronud 51mpg give or take about 5

I've only had mine since April, but so far I'm pretty OK with my mileage. My trip to work is about 21 miles on a 55mph road with a few stop lights getting out of town and back in the following town. Pretty ideal for mileage, really.
I'm consistently getting 27/28. If I go to Des Moines or a lot of driving around town, it falls off to 24/25, but not near as bad as the slushbox 01 Cougar my wife used to have. That thing would get 28 on the highway, and 20 in town. It was ridiculous.
Erick --

2000 Contour SVT
Full 3L - no secondaries
MAF adapter & K&N filter
Weapon-R y pipe -> stock exhaust

I drive semi-aggressive averaging speeds of 85-90 MPH -> ~90 mi/day

27 MPG on Premium gas - no AC - windows down FTW!

Dyno shows I'm running extremely rich - off the chart through all throttle positions...

I get crappy gas mileage for a Zetec, about 28 highway and 22 city. No mods done to my car (yet), but I do drive reasonably hard. I have been known to floor it from time to time and I always gas it pretty hard from stop lights/signs and getting on the highway, cuz I hate when I'm on the highway and someone is entering going very slow :shrug:

I get crappy gas mileage for a Zetec, about 28 highway and 22 city. No mods done to my car (yet), but I do drive reasonably hard. I have been known to floor it from time to time and I always gas it pretty hard from stop lights/signs and getting on the highway, cuz I hate when I'm on the highway and someone is entering going very slow :shrug:

Yeah - I get on it HARD entering the freeway - once in a while I'll redline 2nd and 3rd for fun. Occasional tire spin from annoying stoplights happen a few times a week also.. Other then that, I shift @ 3K on the nose in every gear.

I average 17MPG (~250 miles to a tank or less) with my 98 CSVT. I am not sure if it's because I drive hard or because it needs to see a mechanic. I miss getting 300+ miles to a tank on my SE.

My 99 Mystique got a worst of 19mpg in the winter, me going back and forth to school which is ~2 miles, with the defrost cranking and whatnot.

Usually gets around 25mpg mixed driving and on the highway it's consistently 30mpg or better... Last road trip I took I got 32mpg on the way out and 33mpg on the way back. Was cruising through winding roads at around 55-60mph most of the way and then 80mph on the thruway on the way back home.

Back