• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

99 Contour SE Major headaches

rhstepchild

Be Gentle I'm New Here
Ok guys he is a real killer for ya. I have a 99 ford contour (really its a 98 and 2000 mix cause it has parts from both mid year make) se. The fuel pump has been changed 3 times in 3 years twice in last 9 months. Fuel pump control module has been changed 2 in last 6 months.
The car has broken down 9 times in last 6 months.
Main issue is car will not start. Can be after running can be after sitting, can be running and all the sudden no more gas. Each time the reason car wont start is it is not getting fuel. it only has 108000 miles on it. I am ready to run into someone just so insurance will replace it. I like the car (up until 6 months ago). Broke down again today running down the road and all of a sudden no more go, push down on gas pedal and nothing. Switch into nuetral and engine dies. Try to crank and no start again. It has been to two different mechanics (first local mechanic shop second dealership). Just got car back last friday and the reason wouldnt crank then they said was fuel pump control module (which had just been purchased from dealership 4 months prior and installed by first mechanic). Since part was less than 6 months they replaced for free but had to pay towing. Three times prior to this first mechanic said the issue was with the wire harness that connects front of car to rear of car. Said that heat was casuing the wire connectors to expand and loose contact. This seemed weird to me as each time he claimed this the car had been sitting for plenty of time to cool off.
Any had any similiar issues with this car would love to hear from you before i commit a crime and wreck the thing. Thanks

Welcome. The fuel pump is the problem. In addition, there is a fuel sock which causes additional strain on the pump which can be (and should be) removed.

Fuel pump assembly

Fuel pump assembly

I assume you have just replaced the fuel pump and not the assembly. The filter that lets gas into the 'can' where the fuel pump can pick it up has its own in tank filter, this bugger gets plugged and on the one I had, cleaning didn't help it at all. What happens is that filter so severely restricts flow into the the 'can' from the rest of the tank that it starves the fuel pump and provides you with a dead engine.

A complete assembly is over $250 from ford but it absolutely fixed my problems. A guy on ebay is selling assemblies for much less

Back