• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Noise from gatorback

97vulcan

CEG'er
So i replaced the serp. belt with a gatorback belt. I had a traditional V-belt, and now the car makes a kinda light whistling noise. its not a high pitch noise, and at first I thought it might be a vacuum leak, but now I think its the belt. Does anyone else have this symptom on their 2.5l with a gatorback? :shrug:

Thanks,
Adam

a light whistling can ALSO be a bearing going out on one of the accessories.

Remove the serp belt and start the car to determine if it is a vacuum leak or belt/pulley related. If pulley related, turn each by hand. If belt related give it a bit to break in. Some belts (even of the same brand) can whistle while others do not.

Ray,

My p.s pulley had some slack in it, meaning i could pull and push it in and out just a little bit. The other ones were fine. I tried spraying come carb cleaner around the vacuum hoses, but I couldn't get a rise in the idle. That belt was a PITA to route, and also to install because of the bad tensioner design. Maybe i'll give it some time to break in, as I just installed it on Saturday.

PS if it was a vacuum leak, I would have other symptoms though wouldn't I? I thought it was vacuum last night, but today the idle was fine. It was in my head, the whistling is not though.

Adam

My 2.5 whirs a bit, has Gatorback belt too. I had worn idler pulley and tensioner as well, still whirs. I could try to compare mine to my sister's (Motorcraft belt) if needed.

My 2.5 whirs a bit, has Gatorback belt too. I had worn idler pulley and tensioner as well, still whirs. I could try to compare mine to my sister's (Motorcraft belt) if needed.

Ok, The only reason i am curious is because it just had a traditional V-belt, and didn't make any kind whir to it at all. :) Didnt know if it was the belt or what it was.

Adam

Its common for the gatorback on the contours to make a superchargeresque whine, its louder on the duratecs then it is on the zetecs. I love the sound, plus the gatorback is the cheapest belt I could find.

cloudedzero,

What kind of noise does it sound like to you? Like a slight whistling?

Adam

yup! i like the sound though and it is also a performance belt designed by nascar to reduse drag on the engine

the sound will die down a bit in a month or so though

Back