• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Heater Fan Switch Replacement

Telegrapher

New CEG'er
1996 Contour ATX

How do I replace the heater fan switch? I read somewhere I need to remove the radio, but I think the mounting plate uses something unusual. Do I have to remove the floor console?

Tks in advance for your help.

I think you remove the radio, ashtray and a little bar above the ash tray to allow access to 2 phillips screws. Then wiggle out the cover that covers the a/c control, radio, and light dimmer switch. Then it is two more phillips screws that hold on the entire a/c control and then it is out.

Radio removal

Radio removal

Thank you. How do you remove the radio? There are four square holes in the radio plate. Does this require a special tool?

Technically yes it requires a special tool you can get at walmart or any autoparts store it is called a din radio removal tool or from what i have heard you can get creative with a metal coat hanger to remove it but i personally bought the tool to do it.

DIN Radio tool

DIN Radio tool

Thank you. I'm unfamiliar with this tool, but will pick one up.

I appreciate your help.

Turn right for easy removal

Turn right for easy removal

To ease your job of removing the knob from the fan switch turn it to HIGH then the knob will pull right off, any other position will require a large screw driver or pry bar.

Fan Switch replaced and problem solved

Fan Switch replaced and problem solved

I picked up a DIN radio removal tool from Murray's for under $8.00. It worked well. As an alternative to fabricating a tool from a coat hangar, I learned you can also use nails. However, I think the tool was worth the money.

The fan switch connector was overheated, but still supported the spade connectors and seemed to work okay. I think I read somewhere there is a Ford repair kit made for these. Maybe someone can fill me in.

The plastic dash panel was a little stubborn, but it came out in one piece. The entire job took about 15-minutes.

Back