• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

wobbling crank pulley

ubnpast

CEG'er
Well I believe that my crank pulley is going on my 96 2.5l mystique, currently has 129k miles.

Will someone please confirm my problem: The pulley wobbles left to the right at low rpms (which its more noticable), also at higher rpm's. I tried to find the "how to" for replacing it for the dmd, but cant find it.

Look for DMD (Dual Mode Damper). If you have to replace, it's the one to get. Although, What you describe may already be a DMD. Are you the original owner? Any other symptoms?

Look for DMD (Dual Mode Damper). If you have to replace, it's the one to get. Although, What you describe may already be a DMD. Are you the original owner? Any other symptoms?

I bought the car from the orignal owner, even have the window sticker. The only thing i see is the serpentine belt wobbling with the pulley also, I can take a video of it, just give me a day or so.

I have a DMD pulley and it wobbles. I can't remember if the stock one wobbles, but what you are seeing may be totally normal.
How much does it wobble from the left to the right? I sure hope it is normal, dont have the $60 or so to get a new one, I just bought a waterpump for my vette for $214, and just found out that the radiator is on its way out, and possibly the heater core also (for a car that has 45k miles!)

Wobbling crank pully is NEVER normal. Should turn true.

Hopefully you just have a bent pully. If it was/is loose on the crank shaft, I hope it hasn't worn or damaged the shaft...

Wobbling crank pully is NEVER normal. Should turn true.

Hopefully you just have a bent pully. If it was/is loose on the crank shaft, I hope it hasn't worn or damaged the shaft...

The DMD wobbles when performing correctly. Perhaps floats is a better word as the action, IIRC, was smooth. It has been beaten to death here on CEG and is largely considered a NVH item with little value at top end RPM's. However. If you have to replace a crank pully, why not get the DMD? It will smooth things out a bit and the weight gain (<2lbs.)is negligible for all but the most die hard people wringing every last bit out of the motor.

The DMD wobbles when performing correctly. Perhaps floats is a better word as the action, IIRC, was smooth. It has been beaten to death here on CEG and is largely considered a NVH item with little value at top end RPM's. However. If you have to replace a crank pully, why not get the DMD? It will smooth things out a bit and the weight gain (<2lbs.)is negligible for all but the most die hard people wringing every last bit out of the motor.

So is the stock pulley on my 96 2.5 is a DMD, and thats the reason for it "floating"?

Back