• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Retarded front Rims.......

qbcsvt

Hard-core CEG'er
Ok so my friend and I decided to go on and tackle the painting the Calipers on his 98 E1 CSVT........

First thing is first the lug nuts on those wheels were RIDICULOUSLY tight.... Like my friend is big and pretty strong..... and he couldnt get the lug nuts off. After tackling the lug nuts on the passenger side...we jacked up the car and tried taking off the back wheel.... "WHAT THE FFFK!!! It doesnt wanna come off!" my friend yells and im like, "Are You and Idiot?" Well after i go there and tugg at the wheel it doesnt wanna come off. Finally my friend kicked the top of it.... It came loose.. But the front rims did not want to come off at all.... With like 10 minutes of kicking that thing really hard.....

After painting the rear passenger caliper im like "I Hope the drivers side doesnt do that so your car can look good on the side you drive, LOL!":laugh:

Well the rear rim came off with force but the front didnt wanna...so my friend has the rear calipers painted and the front ones arent...

I was thinking of using a rubber sledgehammer but was scared it would damage his E1s.......
Anyone know of a safe way to get the front wheels off without damaging them or anything else.......

- Amyn

Last edited:
Air tools.

Well He got the lug nuts off.... But the E1 RIMS did not come off(without lug nuts). I literally thought you can drive without lug nuts. I mean me and him were ill the rim from each side and it did not by any means come off....

- Amyn

sometimes they can be stubborn if they havent been off in a long time but giving it a kick at the top or side a few times should have done the trick. get under the car and hit it from the backside with a rubber mallte or sledge on the tire and see if it works it loose

And also, the metal will contract ever so slightly the colder it is. So maybe if you can cool the studs down (isn't there that keyboard cleaner in the aerosol can that is mega-cold??) they will shrink a liiiiiiiiitle bit and allow a little more breathing room to slip off the rims. And also try the sledgehammer idea, but don't overdo it :).

Remove the lug nuts, then lower the wheel and let the weight of the car loosen the wheel for you. If that doesn't work, try putting back the lugnuts tight but not 90 ft-lbs. Tighten to about 10 ft lbs. Drive about 10 to 20 feet. Jack it up and remove the wheel. Do the same for the other side. Don't drive fast or too long. The studs might shear off.

also,you can spray where the rim meets the hub with ALOT of wd-40 or what ever you use. Let it soak for a minute or 2 then go at the kicking and rubber mallet again. i had the same problem with my rims, they eventually came off though.

IMPORTANT: Make sure not to get ANY of the lubricant you decide to use on the brake rotor or pads. If you do get any on the rotor clean it off before using the brakes and you cant just wipe it off. use a cleaning chemical that wont harm your brakes. so simply use the little red spray nozzle on the wd-40 and you should be fine, if you can aim.

I told my friend about the driving thing and he was like LOLOLOL your kidding right... He was like he isnt financially stable for something stupid to happen.... I was like the cars weight is a lot strong then what he or i can do.

We will see what he wants to do tomorrow...

- Amyn

I told my friend about the driving thing and he was like LOLOLOL your kidding right... He was like he isnt financially stable for something stupid to happen.... I was like the cars weight is a lot strong then what he or i can do.

We will see what he wants to do tomorrow...

- Amyn

How about lessening the lug nuts, then lowering the car and turning the steering wheel from side to side. Then raising the car back up to see if it broke lose. Sounds close to the driving idea, but less risky

One of my front rims is like that - it is a b!tch to get on and off, I've got to use 2 lugnuts to pull the rim far enough into the studs so I can get the other 2 lugs on. I replaced all of the wheel studs and still have the issue... Started after i switched a rear drivers side to the front passanger side.

I have a method that has yet to fail me. After you have the lugs off and the car on jack stands, turn away from the wheel and back heal the tire/rim (more tire than rim) and keep on kicking it. Try and hit closest to the edge is possible. It will come lose.

..., turn away from the wheel and back heal the tire/rim (more tire than rim) and keep on kicking it. Try and hit closest to the edge is possible. It will come lose.
Okay, not all of us are Gong Fool masters like you. :laugh:

I know it sounds funny, but it works.
laugh.gif

Yeah, works for me. Thats what i do when the mallet makes me made cuz it isn't working.

Well He got the lug nuts off.... But the E1 RIMS did not come off(without lug nuts). I literally thought you can drive without lug nuts. I mean me and him were ill the rim from each side and it did not by any means come off....

- Amyn

Spray some PB plaster between the rotor and the rim. get a big friggan hammer and a block of wood (with the car jacked up) put the block of wood on the tire and Hit the block of wood as hard as you can, do this all the way around the rim. It will knock it loose, trust me. Ive had to deal with this on multiple cars, basically when the wheels arent taken off for a while they tend to rust weld to the Rotor/drum

Also, you dont need to hit the rim from the back to remove it, in fact that might even make it harder to remove it. Hitting from the front with the sledge hammer and block of wood will do just the trick you need.

You have no idea how bad it is with steel wheels Siezed on rear drums, that was a god damn nightmare.

lol, this is interesting, i don't think i've ever had or ever seen this problem on a car before. :shrug:

I've had it happen on many of my cars. I use the back heel kick as well. You can generate more force, with less chance of hurting your foot.

I've had a few guys tell me they use the "loosened lugs and let the car down on the ground trick", too.

In all cases, once I got the wheels off the vehicle, I used a file and cleaned out the center hole just enough to put the wheel off and on without binding. So far, it has kept the wheels from sticking again.

Back