• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

how hard is a alternator to switch out?

okay, i just went out to the car to grab something and for the heck of it i put the keys in the ignition, turn em and the car fired up????? i rev it up and the battery light comes on...goes back to idle light goes off...car gave me all the signs that the atl. went...radio went out, no directionals, windows went up slow and i had to limp the car home...can someone let me know what the deal is, haha

Still sounds like the alt, but before you pull it take the battery out & have it tested, could be a dead cell, but its probably the alt. Troubleshooting forum anyone? :)

Still sounds like the alt, but before you pull it take the battery out & have it tested, could be a dead cell, but its probably the alt. Troubleshooting forum anyone? :)

i love how everyone jumps all over you if they feel you posted in the wrong section, i started this thread to find out how much of a pita a alt job was, not to find out how to do it...that i searched out, but rather than start a new thread in the "troubleshooting" section, i figured id save the space and continue this thread...but thanks for the smiley face

i love how everyone jumps all over you if they feel you posted in the wrong section, i started this thread to find out how much of a pita a alt job was, not to find out how to do it...that i searched out, but rather than start a new thread in the "troubleshooting" section, i figured id save the space and continue this thread...but thanks for the smiley face

If you will read I gave you my opinion and then afterwards I simply stated something about forum placement. It was very tactful IMO & I don't see why you are getting all bitter. Save your energy arguing on the internet b/c you're gonna need it, Good luck! :)

If you will read I gave you my opinion and then afterwards I simply stated something about forum placement. It was very tactful IMO & I don't see why you are getting all bitter. Save your energy arguing on the internet b/c you're gonna need it, Good luck! :)

by no means am i looking for an internet arguement, its just that ive noticed A LOT since ive been on here that people love throwing out SEARCH or READ THE HOW TO or WRONG FORUM...i simply asked a question in the general discussion forum and instead of getting opinions that will actually help me i get unnecessary comments

Can you read? I did give you an opinion & a very good one I might add you just focused on the negative!
A few weeks ago I fried my alt. After your car sat for a while it will start if you have a decent battery, they build back up a little w/ time. At high RPM's your battery light is coming on. There is a slight chance your battery has a dead cell (will not hold a charge) but there is a greater possibility you need an alt. Take the battery out & get it tested before you spend the cash on an alternator. If its ok Check your fuses & the mega fuse on the rear of the engine. If thats ok remove the pass side tire remove the serp belt some people drop the exhaust, I have to due to my true duals, some people pull the pass side axle and half shaft, this is not necessary. ! bolt for the alt power 2 bolts on the top & bottom of the alt & 1 L bracket. I believe the L bracket has 10mm bolts & the 2 alt bolts are 13mm. you will need some extensions & some swivels. If you need anymore help I could pm you my cell # or I could drive to your house & do it for you. I gave you the answer but I didn't put the pretty bow on it for you!
Have a wonderful night.

If brake pads are a 3 lol... alternator would be an 7.55 out of 10, on a scale. IMO.

Checking the Megafuse, is (to me anyway) a 4. wayy harder than doing brakes, cause you have to scrunch and squeeze your hand in there

Is it easy? No. Its actually tough as all hell. The hardest part to me was getting the top bolt back in. I was THIS close to taking off the y-pipe for the whole install but I didnt, cause it was pretty darn rusty.

You'd probly do it once, then say, this almost ain't worth saving 250 dollars on labor for. (almost)

And to answer your question, YES, if the dash "batt light" is on and flickering, and you know you have a good battery hooked up, its probly the alt.

Nothing can compare to the satisfaction or feeling you'd get by doing an alt by yourself on this engine.... that is guaranteed.

Last edited:
i like pretty bows...you did give me your opinion and you gave me more info now, which is appreciated, im running a red top optima, which explains why the car will start now, but then starts to cut out, my buddy manages a parts shop and already hooked me up with a new one, so she will be put in tomorrow...im really not trying to be a dick, i just get frustrated when im looking for help and people drop little comments or for that fact blunt comments that just dont need to be typed, thanks for the info...next time...put a pretty bow on it and we can save the arguement :)

If you keep driving on that red-top with a bad alt youll dry cell that thing in no time. Im sur ethey have a good exchange policy tho...

Last edited:
Back