• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

how rare is traction control on 98 +

ok well if i punch the throttle and turn hard my tcs light comes on in the dash, feel a throttle cut and i dont go anywhere. now when i enable the switch and do the same thing all i get is one inside spinning tire. so i know mine works.

ford seems to just throw parts togeather. i just pulled new 98+ tail lights the other day and the sockets dont fit from the ones i have now.

also since i dont have the kick panel under the dash on i was looking at a wiring plug that appeared to look like the plug for the clock. have no idea where that goes.

I thought I had Traction Control.....I have the button on my car but when I press it no light comes on....

Might need help on that one??? How can I find out if the TC is working properly or test it???

- Amyn

SVTs do not have TC, there was only one odd one that did ....

again, based on other peoples experiences, it's programmed into the ECU ....it just needs to be turned on (though i don't know why anyone in their right mind would even try to do it)

again, based on other peoples experiences, it's programmed into the ECU ....it just needs to be turned on (though i don't know why anyone in their right mind would even try to do it)

Is it possible that the ECU in cars with the TC harness have the TC 'ON" and it cannot be disabled? Seems to me if it was a matter of ECU programming, Ford would have left it on by default as a safety feature.

Is it possible that the ECU in cars with the TC harness have the TC 'ON" and it cannot be disabled? Seems to me if it was a matter of ECU programming, Ford would have left it on by default as a safety feature.

nope, I have never had TC kick in on my car and I have the harness behind the defroster switch

like i said. it's happened to a couple CEG'ers. It seems the code is in there, but should be disabled from the factory...except in some extremely RARE situations.

To make a long story long, Back in the day there was a CEG'er from NJ, Dave Andrews...he used to autox and road race his car all the time. Well, all of a sudden when auto x'ing when he was trying to accelerate with poor traction the car would herk and jerk and all around fall flat on it's face ( i odn't remember the details about the ABS or if it was cycling by itself though) . He thought it was an ignition issue and literally drove himself mad trying to figure it out. Testing and replacing parts, etc.

It was determined that the ECU was pulling spark in situations where the wheels were slipping, the same exact way 98+ cars with TC do. I don't know if he ever got it resolved...it was a long time ago and he sold the car shortly after.

I did the exact same thing a couple years ago, I changed my dash to a pre '98 junkyard dash due to the nasty curl of death and found the harness in there in the process. I new i had TC cause the light would flash and it felt like the fuel was getting cut or something (apparently spark). So i bought the Def/TC switch and viola! it worked, now i would just like to figure out how to keep it permanently disabled, so i don't have to remember to push the button every time i start my car, TC sucks in the snow!. I have a '00 SE w/o ABS.

I have a '00 SE w/o ABS.

impossible .... the TC uses the abs braking system to control wheel spin, and it has in all years available on the contour .... difference being the post 98 cars controlled the throttle electronically where as the pre98 used a mechanical means ....

there are two different abs units, one for tc and without .... and you need the computer code with the tc in it ....

Yeah, there is no harness behind the blank next to my defrost button. When Pudmunkie did the guage hole dealies in my trim, I wired a blue LED up to the PATS wiring (since the holes eliminated the clock), drilled a hole in the blank, and put the wiring for it where the TC harness would have been.

Yeah, there is no harness behind the blank next to my defrost button. When Pudmunkie did the guage hole dealies in my trim, I wired a blue LED up to the PATS wiring (since the holes eliminated the clock), drilled a hole in the blank, and put the wiring for it where the TC harness would have been.

Just because yours doesn't have one, doesn't mean it's the same for all. Like I said, mine has one in my 2000 SVT. And also Cannondale with #9 1998 SVT found the harness also.

Back