• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

A/C problem- no cold air

You should search Zetec running hot/overheating

You should search Zetec running hot/overheating

I lack Zetec experience, but you are only getting Low speed with the temp in the red:crazy: Maybe the waterpump is bad, or coolant is old. The green relay is the low speed relay. When you turn on the A/C and jump the switch (or the switch is closed because the refrigerant is OK) the Low speed comes on. The high speed will only trigger if the engine is hot and the A/C is on (like 90 degrees weather) Try this old topic FANS and you can verify the high circuit wiring is OK. If you jumper 5 and 3 (2 widest terminals in relay's socket) you will get lower speed in R5 green socket and higher speed from R2 black socket. Jumper only with car off. You can test the relay with a 9V battery and ohmmeter, I would have to do it myself to describe accurately (did it 2 years ago).

If you could remember how to do the test on the relays that would be excellent knowledge this community as well as I would appreiciate it greatly.:laugh:
I found this just after I posted and thought this might come in handy for The fine folks here http://www.autoshop101.com/forms/hweb2.pdf its information about relays and testing them.Maybe someone besides myself can use this info. I will try and test some relays this weekend.
P.S. There is alot of info here

Last edited:
I will take a look, might be Saturday before I can try it. I'm not sure if I can open the relay/power box due to a deer...:blackeye: At least the car can be saved!

I will check the zetec threads again. Did you check out that link I posted?

I think you edited while I posted:crazy: The relay document describes what I did, I believe the pins are different on the Green relay.

Back