• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Buying a new clutch

bradSVT

CEG'er
Alright so that buzzing noise that has been driving me crazy has just led me to the decision to replace the clutch. Now I have to decide what to replace it with. Since it has been 7 or 8 months since I have owned the clutch SPEC won’t warranty anything. SO...

Should I buy another SPEC clutch?

or

Should I go with another brand that has a warranty longer then 120 days?

and

Any recommendations on some different brands? It seems most of the site people use SPEC clutches.

Thanks

I am using a luk clutch, they used they originally for the contour svt. I found mine at pepboys. No funny noises, no chatter, drives just like stock.:shocked:

Chatter

Chatter

I get a noise when starting out from 1st gear and sometimes when rolling in second gear. it sounds like a rattling noise. is this clutch chatter? and is it bad? it only does it for a few seconds until the RPM's increase.

Thanks,
Adam

I get a noise when starting out from 1st gear and sometimes when rolling in second gear. it sounds like a rattling noise. is this clutch chatter? and is it bad? it only does it for a few seconds until the RPM's increase.

Thanks,
Adam

ask that question in my other two posts about buzzing. I want to keep this post about buying a new clutch. Thanks.

No. Clutch chatter isn't a noise. It is a vibration feeling. It is uneven application of the clutch as it starts to engage.

What you are describing may be gear roll-over noise. Some is a normal feature of that transmission. It seems more pronounced with worn engine/trans mounts, worn clutch, and lighter flywheel.

BigJim, I appreciate the help. Hopefully its nothing to worry about then. bradSVT, sorry for hijacking your thread.

Adam

re:new clutch

re:new clutch

It's time to replace the clutch on my 99 2.0. Has anyone ever done it? Had it done? anyone have suggestions on an upgrade form the stock clutch set-up? Also Is it worth taking the time/money to replace the diff. at the same time?

With all the issues with SPEC posted here and your own personal, I dont think you need to make this post to answer your own question!

Back