• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Slightly Crunching 4th gear...

Reebs

meester super sleuth
I have a pretty fresh HMS trans that came from one of my parts cars, but when I mounted it up to my 3L turbo I noticed 4th gear crunches if I get on it. I know tons of people have problems with their 3rd gear syncros going, but is it possible that I just need to re-adjust my shift cables? It doesn't crunch when I am driving it nice, so is that a bad sign that the syncro could be going, or is it possilble that a poorly adjusted shift cable could cause it to sometimes crunch and sometimes be fine!?! I do have the steeda short throw shifter, but I never had any problem like this with it being used with my other built trans. Does Terry not do an entire tranny rebuild unless specified? I assumed most people would buy all new internals while he is in there!!! :shrug: I will be pissed if this is actually the syncro because I just put this thing together!!!

Last edited:
Sounds like its time to pull it.

Livinsvt has the same issue, only he cant use 4th gear at all. "Must be your shift cables there boy-o" :rolleyes:.

I was under the impression terry checked everything over also. I had a trans he originally built looked over @ liberty trans here in SE MI (was in for a case swap... damaged in transit to original owner), Liberty built all of capaldi racings cougar transmissions. He found a chipped up 3rd gear (from 1000 miles it was run in the other car??? 750 of which was break in??) and a bad reverse blocker.

Im not here to start ****, but if you're sending your trans out to HMS make sure you tell them you'd like it all looked at.

If you consider buying a used MTX trans you can 1)Contact us with the customers full name and a rough date when the trans was built 2)We will give you full information on the spec and content of that trans build 3)Should you decide to buy, we will,for a small cost that will include return shipping to you,fully inspect the trans and supply you with a condition report(Note any parts required will be advised but fitting of those parts will be at a reduced labor charge)..In all used parts,ours or any others 'buyer beware'...The only true check of condition is a full teardown or driving the car with the trans in it!!TH

Sorry Terry, that must be your new take on things.

I called you (or emailed... cant remember) when I was considering the purchase. I asked you what it would cost to look it over and possibly swap it straight across into a new case. Your reply to me? "labor starts at 400".

I called Liberty and spoke to Paul who built countless RACE prep transmissions , including custom gearsets (that didnt grind....). Paul told me labor runs around 195 :laugh:. Before inspecting the trans he told me if its just a simple case swap it would only run me.... 95 $$! After inspection and realizing some parts needed to be swapped out (to which he sold me brand new parts he had around that were replaced in the race trans for a decent price) the total cost came to 280 because the gears needed to be taken apart.

Todd kept relaying your story of a liberty trans you fixed because they installed a Zetec FD wrong. Well, they got this one right. I also dont really think you need to be spouting your opinion of liberty's mishap when you get bent out of shape when someone speaks about some of your mishaps.

This is just my opinion, what ive gathered from my own exp. what ive read on the forums, and what ive helped Livinsvt deal with on his trans.

PS. if anyone is interested PM me for Liberty's contact info

I shouldn't have sold my perfectly good built trans with a torsen! :( I just kept this trans from Pete's old 3L SE because I wanted to zetec fd to help with traction for my 3l turbo. Oh well... we live and we learn. Guess I just won't use 4th gear and I'll pull all the turbo crap to get out the trans as another winter project. I thought that EVERYTHING was replaced when Terry did his transmissions. I didn't know that he just "inspects" it and adds an lsd, etc...

My transmission that I sold had been COMPLETELY rebuilt with all new internals when the Torsen was added. Frig me for wanting the zetec FD and assuming this one was completely rebuilt as well!

Didnt you post it for sale on xceed anyway? why bother if its for sale....

Didnt you post it for sale on xceed anyway? why bother if its for sale....

I will only sell my car if the price was right, and then I would start all over with another SVT project. I don't need to sell it or anything though. Out of my SVT's, this would be the hardest one to part with. I assume Terry doesn't give any warrenties for a trans that he did with low mileage and problems, does he!?!? Warrenty or not I still have to pull this frigger again. :(

I dont believe he does waranty work. Brett had to pull his TH built trans after his install (which is significantly more difficult with ADC turbo kit) due to a faulty install of 3rd gear. Then, after pulling it he had to deliever it to terry 2 hours away, and STILL had to pay another 400 to fix what was wrong to begin with... It needs to be pulled again, not sure if its going to go back to TH......

I dont believe he does waranty work. Brett had to pull his TH built trans after his install (which is significantly more difficult with ADC turbo kit) due to a faulty install of 3rd gear. Then, after pulling it he had to deliever it to terry 2 hours away, and STILL had to pay another 400 to fix what was wrong to begin with... It needs to be pulled again, not sure if its going to go back to TH......

I'll pm you for contact info for liberty! I need a quality inexpensive fix if Terry won't warrenty his own work.

Well most places don't warranty if you yourself didn't have the work performed.

And my 4th gear is crap. Definitly in the trans, verifed yesterday. Unless the shift tower is some how binding up there. Doubt it. I guess I will go back to a stock trans with a Quaife or Torsen and call it good. Unless some one wants to buy this car, needing a 4th gear syncro, many many other great parts...:cry:

Back