• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Lucas engine oil stabilizer (a must read for Hybrid guys!)

You do realize that Lucas oil stabilizer foams right? Bob the oil guy (IIRC) has a sickeningly stunning demo with an electric motor (turning gears) foaming the Lucas at a mere 300rpm. Imagine idle, 3000, 6000, 7500... Also anything that's goal is to use mass amounts of Viscosity Index improvers (solid particulates used to "thicken" oil) to mask engine problems is a serious step in the wrong direction. Just another typical POS oil additive.

You are 100% correct on the foaming issue. I was a the parts store and saw the Lucas oil setup. I spun the crank as fast as I could. Between the top 2 gears I saw bubbles. And I was probably turning that thing at only 50 rpm or so. Not that I ever douted you....

Last edited:
Maybe you should just change to a thicker multigrade oil.

Ford had a TSB saying to run 5W20. So I did. The reason is that it gets 1/2% better fuel economy. So I thought it's the same price.... Now after this incodent I can say that I honsetly don't think that these lighter oils have the lubricity of thicker oils. I did an oil change with 10W30 and my pressures are back to normal. BUT Big Jim was saying something about the pumps causing a wierd wear pattern with thicker oils. That's what I was mainly concerned about.

Last edited:
Good thing you politely answered that one Tom. "Who cares if it foams?" :blackeye: Sheesh...

My guess is that there was a piece of **** stuck in the pump. I guess it cleaned it out . $20 for the addative or take the engine out and replace the pump. Tough choice. And you totally took that out of context. Oh yeah and for the record I did to an oil change immediately after the Lucas treatment.

Last edited:
Ford had a TSB saying to run 5W20. So I did. The reason is that it gets 1/2% better fuel economy. So I thought it's the same price.... Now after this incodent I can say that I honsetly don't think that these lighter oils have the lubricity of thicker oils. I did an oil change with 10W30 and my pressures are back to normal. BUT Big Jim was saying something about the pumps causing a wierd wear pattern with thicker oils. That's what I was mainly concerned about.

You should be fine with a 10w30, honestly that isn't what I'd consider a "thicker" oil. It's probably ideal for most normal temp driving. 5w30 or 5w20 for cool temps and maybe a 10w40 for hot summer temps. That's just me though.....but I can honestly say driving the **** out of all my cars and I NEVER had a bearing issue on three different types of setups.
Of course I've popped a couple of pistons...but who's counting. :p

I run 0W40 Mobil 1. Mainly because Mobil 1 5W40 is not available locally.
If you get some "seapage" troubles with it try mixing in 1 quart of Synthetic Max-Life 5W30. I actually recommend adding a quart of Max-Life for anyone that gets the common front cover area seapage. It works quite well. My 2.5L used to have this problem noticeably (oil streaks) with 5W30. The 3L was just starting to show some "wet look" (no visible oil though) when I changed the oil last month. (3 years & 20k+ miles)

Great advice! I am going to give that a shot next oil change. I am getting some front end seepage and I have been using Amsoil 5W30 since 44K and have 114K currently. I first started seeing hte seepage around 90K give or take 10K.

OMFG!! I LOVE YOU MAN!

My favs in order:

#1: lubricity
#2: incodent
#3: "Now after this incodent I can say that I honsetly don't think that these lighter oils have the lubricity of thicker oils."

Let me tell you something Captian Dipsh*t, I have more experence and education than you ever will.

Last edited:
Heheheh, this is gonna get good....where's the popcorn

popcorn.gif

You do realize that Lucas oil stabilizer foams right? Bob the oil guy (IIRC) has a sickeningly stunning demo with an electric motor (turning gears) foaming the Lucas at a mere 300rpm. Imagine idle, 3000, 6000, 7500... Also anything that's goal is to use mass amounts of Viscosity Index improvers (solid particulates used to "thicken" oil) to mask engine problems is a serious step in the wrong direction. Just another typical POS oil additive.

I had first hand experience with this in an old Subaru. Trans. fluid foamed so bad it started slipping.

Let me tell you something Captian Dipsh*t, I have more experence and education than you ever will.

I'll give you lubricity, but just how much grad school have you done?! Furthermore please manage to get through a simple sentence without spelling errors with simple words like experience.

Finally, considering the completely ****ed up Tb shaft I got from you I really don't expect much from you in terms of common sense. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Fruthermore please manage to get through a simple sentence without spelling errors with simple words like experience.

Welcome to Ironyville.
Population: MapofTaziFoSho.. and TexasRealtor
This IS gonna get good

Last edited:
I'll give you lubricity, but just how much grad school have you done?! Furthermore please manage to get through a simple sentence without spelling errors with simple words like experience.

Finally, considering the completely ****ed up Tb shaft I got from you I really don't expect much from you in terms of common sense. :rolleyes:

4 years. You?

Remind me again if I did not offer you a complete refund.

Sorry, I didn't realize this was a formal forum. I will try to make grammer a priority.

Oh, and next time, you might want to put commas where they need to be. Being that this is a formal forum and all.

Last edited:
Back