• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

What am I doing wrong?

cnewton44

Hard-core CEG'er
Ok so im taking off my ding guards and i got both passenger ones and the glue off fine.

IMG_0478.jpg

But for some reason the glue on the drivers side wont come off really. I dont know what to use. I have some bug and tar remover and that worked on the little that was left on the pass. side. It was easy to rub the glue off on the passenger side but the driver side wont come off.
Anybody know what to do with this?

IMG_0482.jpg

Goo-Gone is a must. Soak all the glue with the Goo-Gone for at least 10 mins, then start rubbing it off. Be careful what you use to rub the paint with though. You don't want to end up with deep swirl marks in the paint.

A little denatured alcohol should dissolve that adhesive effectively, also. Don't smoke a cigarette while you're working with it, though. :cool:

Use your thumb and roll that sh*t off. Might want to try a hair dryer or something to make it easier.

yeah, he can use all the goo gone he wants and that gray crap ain't coming off!!

you gotta use your thumb...and be prepared for painful blisters from it.

MUCH MUCH better

MUCH MUCH better

Well i got it all off using:
Goo Gone
Turtle Wax Tar And Bug Remover
Many rags
And Yes I did use a type of spatula... And yes it did scratch it some but you can only see it if you know its there... Besides im gettin it wet-sanded this year...

IMG_0485.jpg

IMG_0488.jpg

Now my final question is: What does everybody think of the stripe?
My friend hates it cause its "Old Grandma Stylye"... However im not sure and am leanin both ways....What do you think?

44-

nice t-red mystique! sadly there seem to be way fewer of us on these boards.... but its all good.

as to the pin stripes-

my silver frost ls came with no stripes. i like (subtle) stripes, so used 3 tape- a dark silver, a color called champaign, and a slightly wider tape which is basically silver frost. so i say, keep your tape- offers an interesting contrast.

i still have my door dings on. have not worked up the courage to remove them. today at the wreck yard i harvested a set of cougar pedal covers and the matching left foot piece.

so i say, its your ride, just have fun and enjoy it! and know that it is somewhat unusual and you won't be seeing yourself at the next stoplight!

lakeside

Thanks alot! Yeah i love my car. And the rarity of these cars is the exact reason why i wanna mod it. My car is a sleeper.. Heh heh.. Took the 24v emblem off the back. Mercury and Mystique are comin off too. Then im gonna take off the LS and get a side marker light to fill the hole. Anyways where did you get the stuff to get your fogs to come on with just the parking lights?... Thats one of the two things i dont like on my car.

Back