• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

key question?

Good question. Always wanted to know why my ignition keys don't open ma trunk.

Early idea of a 'valet' key, I assume.

I remember my mom's 70s Mustang II had the same 2 key setup where the square key operated the doors and ignition, the round/oval key operated the trunk and glove box. IIRC, the 60s Fords only had a single key that operated everything.

Only give the valet the ignition key and he can't open the trunk or glove box.

Guess they give a seperate 'valey key' like on my Nissan now?

There's a switch at the trunk lock??? :confused:

Yes, right next to where the latch is, there's a hole in the plastic trim. Inside there is a switch, and as it turns out, this activates the trunk lock. This REQUIRES using a key to open the trunk. I have mine engaged, seeing as it keeps my subs safe :).

you may think they are safe but you stilk need to unlatch the cord that unlatches the trunk. that is if you hadn't done that yet. then the only way in is the remote.
Yes, right next to where the latch is, there's a hole in the plastic trim. Inside there is a switch, and as it turns out, this activates the trunk lock. This REQUIRES using a key to open the trunk. I have mine engaged, seeing as it keeps my subs safe :).

I'm going to go look at that! I never knew about no switch!

lol, wonder what else is on the car I don't know about......

you may think they are safe but you stilk need to unlatch the cord that unlatches the trunk. that is if you hadn't done that yet. then the only way in is the remote.

:confused:

the lockout switch DISABLES the side-seat lever that opens the trunk.'

The way in is a key, afterwards..

You people need to read your owners manuals more ...

(if anybody doesn't have theirs: )
http://www.analogstereo.com/ford_contour_owners_manual.htm

BOOO! No link to 1995 manuals! Its ok though, I have mine. Never had to read the part about the trunk release and what not. Though flipping through my manual sure makes me wish I had all the goodies you could have gotten with the car. (traction control, tilt, moonroof, fogs, remote entry, etc)

:confused:

the lockout switch DISABLES the side-seat lever that opens the trunk.'

The way in is a key, afterwards..

I deciphered that a little bit, and I think he means the cord from the latch to the trunk's key cylinder.

However, I don't know how useful that is, since a would-be theif would take a heck of a lot longer drilling/beating out the cylinder.

Not sure how strong these latches are, but man, a good car to NOT get your junk stolen is a 90s+ Crown Vic/Caprice.

Two of my friends had an attempted break in, one with a 92 Grand Marquis, other with a 95 Caprice 9C1. On the G-M, they caused $1200 worth of damage (and that's after finding a junkyard trunklid ourselves), but the thieves never got in. Someone tried on the Caprice, but my friend heard them damaging his car, so he ran them off and took the stuff out. They came back the next night with bolt cutters, got in, saw the stuff was gone, so they got mad and threw a pry bar through the back window. Ended up selling it for $500 since he only paid $3000 for it a few years earlier.

Words of wisdom: DON'T ADVERTISE YOUR SYSTEM! Keep it low in residential/cruising areas, which also helps to not piss off the cops.

well the thing is it takes tow ppl to open my trunk. one persons gotta hold the latch up while the other person pulls open the trunck. pretty stupid. whats up with that? im hearing that "the spoiler weighs it down so it wont pop open without help"...but its a factory spoiler...it should open??????

well the thing is it takes tow ppl to open my trunk. one persons gotta hold the latch up while the other person pulls open the trunck. pretty stupid. whats up with that? im hearing that "the spoiler weighs it down so it wont pop open without help"...but its a factory spoiler...it should open??????

the trunk struts are shot and need to be replaced ... or you can get the assist spring which pops the trunk ...

Back