• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

I'm at a loss - IDLE!

Fuel pressure should be 35 not 50 at idle.

You have to get vacuum to the FPR or you will run rich, not lean.

My car has an auxillary Vortech fuel pump installed, left over from when it had a supercharger.

So the regulator will default to wide open with no vacuum... hmm... guess I'll get a new regulator just to be safe.

Seriously TPS Throttle position sensor!!!!! There might be a vacuum leak in one of the lines. I would go with the TPS. When my tps went bad my car would idle at 3-4k for no reason it would drop down to almost stalling and it would then die or sit really low at 500rpms. Thank god a EGL ceg'r had one laying around so i picked it up and presto it fixed the problem.

I also disconnected the IAC and it did just as you explained idle down when ever i started it and all. People kept telling me IAC. It ended up being the TPS.

I'll see if I can get a TB with the TPS still on it (since I need a TB anyway).

BTW, the 'cutting out' only happens for a few minutes after starting... once I've driven for a while, it mostly goes away.

On a different note, got a 4th muffler installed (but 2.25" right after the flex pipe), car is way quieter. No more drone except when accelerating and around 50mph. Still a straight through, preforated tube with glass pack around it...

Buy nothing!

Test FPR with a fuel pressure gage and vacuum pump or mouth suction.

Test TPS with a meter.

If fuel pressure does not go down with vacuum applied, check return line before replacing FPR.

Well, my fuel pump is on its way out also... so that could be a cause, however, fuel pressure remains steady during all this nonsense.

I'm not exactly sure at what I'm testing on the TPS... am I looking for continuity or voltage (and if voltage, the input voltage or across the terminals?).

The following is mainly for search purposes (I have an SVT throttle body, new fuel regulator, new throttle position sensor, and new plug wires on the way):

I discovered a few things about my 'no fuel' issue yesterday.

When it is acting up, if I allow it to stall, then restart... 'no fuel' issue goes away until the next time I restart. Sometimes the car will catch it and not allow it to stall... simply shutting it off on my own DOES NOT help.

I was on the Autobahn driving home (all my CDs were in my other car, so no music for me!), and noticed that every time it was lacking fuel, the fuel pressure gauge showed normal, while the A/F ratio guage would peg to lean until the car got fuel again, which it would be normal.

While on the cruise control, and it was doing the 'no fuel' issue and the air/fuel ratio guage would peg on lean, after a little bit the check engine light would flash indicating a misfire, which would not go away unless I hit the gas to accelerate.

:sigh:

I have terrible luck with my SVT. It's currently sitting at the Ford dealer waiting for 650 Euros (bit under $1000USD :blackeye: ) worth of parts/labor, but it wasn't the car's fault this time, just bad luck.

Instead of making multiple threads, I've decided to keep this one going until either I fix the car totally, or I get rid of it.

Now... I was leaving the housing side of Vogelweh (for those of you that know the KMC) from a gate I hardly ever use. The road is worn out from many years of driving on it, and has developed grooves from the tires.

Due to increased force protection measures, the Air Force installed tire shredders on the outbound lanes to prevent someone from coming in the wrong way. I've heard that they damage a lot of people's cars.

Well, I was driving out, and since I have Konis/GCs, it's rough to go over stuff like that, so I'm inching when I'm going over them. This one was no different... 2 speed bumps before the shredder, then I start going over the shredder and when I come down, there's a THUNK and a bit of scraping when I continue going.

I originally feared my exhaust I had installed just a couple weeks ago was damaged. But car was still quiet, so I was thinking it was maybe a dent in the Y pipe or something.

I go to the other side of Vogelweh and decide to eat at Popeye's. Was there for about 20 minutes, then went out to see the parking area under and to the right of my car covered with a huge puddle of oil... checked the dipstick, and sure enough, ALL of the oil had leaked out. Pan had a constant drip (almost a stream). Guess I hit the oil pan on one of the bolt heads that are holding the shredder down.

Called the base fire dept to come and clean up the oil spill, and the chief told me that the Air Force is paying out damages caused by the tire shredders, since they would rather keep them and damage cars, then to not have them and someone come in through the outbound lane.

So he called the Security Forces to come and make a 'damage to private property' report. Essentially a single car minor accident report. They told me to come pick up the report in about 5 days (which will be Monday), and then I guess I take it to legal with the bill from the repairs, and they will probly give me another form for my commander to sign, then take to finance and get them to pay me if everyone approves it.

So yeah, they ordered an oil pan and all related items, and also told me they need to "align the muffler", which I suppose they mean (remember, there's a language barrier... English is a 2nd language) they have to take the Y pipe off and put it back on.

Kinda sucks, since I have an oil pan on the way from Bill Jenkins since I couldn't repair the hole that was tapped for the S/C oil return line. Guess I'll turn around and sell it on here for a bit less than I paid for it.

Hopefully I have all the parts I need now to restore the car to proper working order! Then I'll probly sell it, and the next guy will have a trouble-free car for the next 10 years :blackeye:

Last edited:
Back