• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Where to for Header/exhaust install (SW PA)

Don't think you'll get done in one day with removing the AC line, the alternator, the serpentine belt and the coolant line. That's a lot of extra work. Plus, if the EGR pipe doesn't want to cooperate, that can hold you up a bit.

Ya'd better start early! Or, start Friday night as Scott suggested.

Good luck and have fun! :)

I guess once we get under there and take a peak we will see what our best bet is. Obviously less work it better but if it means taking some stuff off so we dont strip anything then so be it. I have a feeling this is going to be a project lol but I will be so happy when its done :D

Christine this is the best isolator I could find. Seems like around these parts Advanced has the monopoly and there really aren't any Auto Zones but the advanced didn't have jack so I went to Pep Boys and got this exhaust hanger. You think this will work? I also got this compression fitting from HD. I think this is the right thing. Have to go and shop tomorrow for the studs, nuts, and washers :crazy:.

IMG_1314.jpg

There was another rubber hanger there that had the holes a bit further apart. But this one resembled the one from the pic you sent me.

Last edited:
It is a tight fit under there, for sure.
It's not so much about stripping something as it is getting those swivel heads onto the nuts, it can be a PITA since there's not a lot of room. It is a project. :)

The hanger looks about right. The compression fitting is correct.

You definitely will be happy when the job is done.

For what it's worth, take off your grille before starting the project. Sounds like a stupid suggestion, but by chance to need to get on top of the engine, it won't be getting cracked/broken then. ;)

Nope, not stupid at all. You do need be at the top of the engine for a few minutes.
Good suggestion.

Although, if someone gets "on top of the engine" I certainly want pictures. ;)

Thought I'd give an update for those of you wondering how the install is going:
It's going pretty well. The EGR held them up a bit but other than that, not too bad.
They are almost done.

WooHoo!

you spoke too soon... They were still getting the first (front) header on when I left at about 10:40.

It hasn't had any major hang ups though. Scott estimated 2 more hours when I left.

They're still working on it tonight. :(

But, there's not much more to do. Hopefully the rest will go smooth.

OK, all is well now. New set of plugs and a thorough cleaning of all electrical connections = :laugh: :drool: .

Sounds so sweet, too! Thanks to all who helped out, in person or by phone. :cool:

I'm back home. Thanks again Scott.:cool: Scott's Speed Shop FTW! Couple hangups here and there but all in all pretty good if you ask me. Complete new exhaust swap from the headers back to test-pipe in 2 days and some change.

I do have a bit of an exhaust leak at the Trubendz test/stock catback connection. But the flanges are not identical so I think thats why. I plan on putting the Borla cat back on anyway and I think the Borla cat back 2-bolt flange may be a bit bigger/better than the stock cat back 2-bolt so it may fix the leak issue there but I will def. know once I put that on.

On a side note I seem to hear a bit of a leak at the flex pipe also. Its like a weird fuzzy/buzzing sort of leak. My flex is the braided inside and out syle so maybe its just air flowing out the braids :shrug:. I still have the stock cat back on w/ removed rez and it has some rasp to it when I get on the gas. I'm guessing thats b/c there is no res. Although w/ the stock setup ( complete stock everything except the removed rez) did not rasp at all except on cold start ups. Just trying to verify in my mind that putting the Borla on will be better sounding than the stock w/ removed res that I have on now and eliminate the rasp.

I'll keep you posted about the Borla cat back swap and when I throw it on.

Last edited:
So, how happy are you with the headers?

Not sure why you are getting a buzzing sound out of the flex pipe. Mine doesn't do that.

I'm glad the install is finally done! Glad to see the stumbling issue has been resolved too!

So, how happy are you with the headers?

Not sure why you are getting a buzzing sound out of the flex pipe. Mine doesn't do that.

I like the headers I just want to get the sound perfect w/ no rasp or leak.

Luca,

is your flex the one that is braided on the inside as well as outside or is yours the one that has the ribs on the inside? Mines the one that is braided on both sides ( which I've heard flow better) but it almost seems that the air flow would/could leak through the braids and cause an exhaust leak sound but maybe I'm just assuming:confused:.

Also the flex pipe hanger I got was not long enough and we just couldn't stretch it to fit. So it does seem to bend a little there b/c there is nothing holding the flex up and straight. Could this be causing the fuzzy buzzing sound?

Do you think the rasp is b/c there is no res on the stock cat-back? Hopefully the Borla will get rid of that since it has the 1 muffler and 2 res's.

Last edited:
The hanger wasn't long enough? Damn! It's so hard to tell. I didn't want to measure the one on my car since it has stretched a bit, I didn't want to guesstimate and then you got the wrong one. Guess I should have. :dizzy:

Measure it and take that one back, get one that is longer. That will help, getting a hanger that will hold that flex pipe up. Personally, I would get an isolator for that soon.

Ya know, I don't remember if mine is braided on the inside. I remember hearing that those flow better also. To be honest, I really don't know if that type could "leak" air. I suppose it's possible since it is braided.

Yep, not having the resonator will cause rasp. I would hope that with 2 resonators you won't have any rasp. ;) When is the Borla going on?

Ok I'll try to get an isolator on there asap.

It's a good thing I didn't have the shop put the Borla on prior to this work b/c we had to twist the stock cat-back a bit for everything to line up/bolt up right so one of the tips is slightly higher than the other. Hopefully the shop can align everything when the Borla goes on.

I hope to put the Borla on there either this week or the next.

Back