• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

how big is gas tank?

james9290

New CEG'er
stupid question but how big is the gas tank thought it was 12 gallons until it took 13 today at pump 98 ford contour 2.0 4cyl zeteck

Then, logic would tell you, that it isn't 12 gallons. :idea:

The owner's manual would also say the tank size, either the one in your glovebox, if you have one (you DO have one, don't you?) or the one online..

Last edited:
96-97 has a 14.5 gallon tank
98 has (according to the owner's manual) a 16.2 :shocked: gallon tank
99-2000 has a 15.4 gallon tank

Last edited:
98 has (according to the owner's manual) a 16.2 :shocked: gallon tank
:crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy:
strange...I run her dry one time just out of curiosity to see how much a tank lasts me. I filled up with a dry tank and only can fit 13.2 gallons. Different tank changed by previous owner maybe:confused:

strangely enough, it's 16.2 by the book

well some gas pumps around here been on news etc for not being actual weight, hence u buy 12 gallons only getting 11 like gas ain't a rip off already

well some gas pumps around here been on news etc for not being actual weight, hence u buy 12 gallons only getting 11 like gas ain't a rip off already

Plus you have to take into consideration the auto shut off on the pumps. Some pumps stop wayyyyy before the tank is full.

Plus you have to take into consideration the auto shut off on the pumps. Some pumps stop wayyyyy before the tank is full.

yup, thats why I always run it until the auto turn off doesnt let me pump another drop.

I am proud to say, I got 31 MPG on my last fill up :D Ive got on healthy 160K mile Zetec :)

For reference, in actuality, the most a pump (Gilbarco, Wayne, etc) can be off depends on the model.

Older style Wayne cabniets with mechanical meters can be adjusted to be off by a maximum of +-21 degrees, which equates to about .15gallons. (11.85 to 12.15 when the display read 12.00)

Electronic meters can be off by as much as you want, though they are electronically audited as well, which means if they are off, you will know at the end of each report (weekly) and the US Agricultural commision will be contacting you, via a visit in person to red-tag the pump itself.. Very efficient, very hard to get by.

So.. the most you can be getting "gipped" by is .15 gallons, though the average is +-5 degrees, which is what is regulated by the USAC. (can be 11.9625 -12.0375 and still be legal.)

You aren't getting ripped off by THAT much, if at all.. Worry about old filters on the pumps more than anything!

yup, thats why I always run it until the auto turn off doesnt let me pump another drop.

I am proud to say, I got 31 MPG on my last fill up :D Ive got on healthy 160K mile Zetec :)

I concur. When the auto shut-off stops the pump, I just let go and pull the stupid thing again. Shut off...let go...pump more....etc. LOL. I probably do this nearly ten times. Never ever had gas spill :).

Please realize that if you are in a stage two vapor recovery district (major metropolis', but some areas, regardless) that there is a two part hose.. an inner hose and an outer hose (which is hooked to a vauum pump)

The outer hose is designed to recover gas vapors and cycle them back in to the underground storage tank. If you fill untill the auto shut off kicks in (a small hole on the tip oif the nozzle which draws vacuum from liquid being there) then continue to pump, you are likely having some of your newly pumped gas vacuumed out by the vapor recovery pump.

Now, is it a TON? no.. are you getting NO extra gas? no.. But, you ARE, technically, losing a LITTLE bit. If you are concerned about pumps being off calibration, this is to the same extent. not a TON, but you WOULD notice it in a lab test.

For reference, in actuality, the most a pump (Gilbarco, Wayne, etc) can be off depends on the model.

Older style Wayne cabniets with mechanical meters can be adjusted to be off by a maximum of +-21 degrees, which equates to about .15gallons. (11.85 to 12.15 when the display read 12.00)

Electronic meters can be off by as much as you want, though they are electronically audited as well, which means if they are off, you will know at the end of each report (weekly) and the US Agricultural commision will be contacting you, via a visit in person to red-tag the pump itself.. Very efficient, very hard to get by.

So.. the most you can be getting "gipped" by is .15 gallons, though the average is +-5 degrees, which is what is regulated by the USAC. (can be 11.9625 -12.0375 and still be legal.)

You aren't getting ripped off by THAT much, if at all.. Worry about old filters on the pumps more than anything!

Ray, how do you come up with this info. Either you read alot or your highly educated.

Or I like to blow smoke up everyone's tailpipe.

Its one of those three, but I'll let everyone take their own guess as to which one it is. :)

I actually worked for a petroleum services corporation that did field maintenance, installation of pumps, and repair (electrical componentry, displays, calibration meters, digital meters, etc)

We also installed point of sale systems inside the store (Ruby Verifone, Topaz touchscreen, Wayne Nucleus, Gilbarco G-Sites, etc)

Basically, I was responsible for the upkeep of everything from the "cash register" back to the back office, then underground to the pumps outside and inside the pumps (on the electrical side). Then I was responsible for the hydraulic side from the pumps, to the underground storage tanks (UST's) and vapor vent piping, vacuum pumps, flare stacks, etc. I was fortunate enough to learn quite a bit. From all of the above, to how to actually get free gas (and how to actually get arrested, mind you! lol)

Pair that with my years in the Navy as an Electronics Technician, working on High Frequency Transceivers and amplifiers, and radar propogation (basically, if it used electricity, I was expected to not only know HOW it worked, but how to either repair any component in it, or build an entire other piece!) and I was able to derive some knowledge in the fields of both consumer end electronics, and corporate/industrial scale pieces.

sounds like a nerd....but its a good way. imagine if we didnt know it was .15 gallons.....

Imagine if I told you how to get free gas? Or exactly how many rounds a cruiser has in its CWIS protection system, or how many it can fire (5000+ per minute!!), or how to tell which stations have the newest filters without opening the cabinet (which requires a key.. which I have)

Or that you can change the price of gas yourself, with a remote, from your car (which I have).

Or that gas prices will be (take a look, next time) slightly more expensive on the INBOUND side of a MAJOR freeway in metropolis', and slightly cheaper outbound. In the evening, the opposite is true. Call me a nerd...
:D

Its what got me my wife. :drool: and my job. :idea:

I have always taken those descriptions as more of a compliment than an insult. (which I know you said you weren't being insulting... I'm just stating..)

Imagine if I told you how to get free gas? Or exactly how many rounds a cruiser has in its CWIS protection system, or how many it can fire (5000+ per minute!!), or how to tell which stations have the newest filters without opening the cabinet (which requires a key.. which I have)

Or that you can change the price of gas yourself, with a remote, from your car (which I have)

Or that gas prices will be (take a look, next time) slightly more expensive on the INBOUND side of a MAJOR freeway in metropolis', and slightly cheaper outbound. In the evening, the opposite is true. Call me a nerd...
:D

Its what got me my wife. :drool: and my job. :idea:

I have always taken those descriptions as more of a compliment than an insult. (which I know you said you weren't being insulting... I'm just stating..)

How much for the remote? :p or a DIY guide for building one :laugh:

I saw how gas prices work here in Canada for the 5 years I've been here, it always used to be the same drill until the gas price/gallon started to fluctuate really bad: cheaper in the evenings (logic and economics: there are a hell lot more people demanding gas during the day than at the end of it.)

Cheapest of all days for get gas used to be Wednesdays, followed by Fridays, I can't explain why that I know why it was the most expensive on Mondays (people going back to work after the weekend).

Those were good posts you wrote, interesting.

The remotes sell for roughly 1,000.00..

I just so happen to have two of them! (Unfortunately, when I went through Wayne training school, I had to buy one of them! ouch!

Back