• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

3L nitrous?

novellino21

Veteran CEG'er
So has anyone ever used nitrous with there 3L setup? I'm getting my car dynoed soon and was seriously looking into doing a 50 or 75 shot nitrous. I tryed searching for 3L nitrous but only got nitrous setups w/the 2.5.
Some someone please give a testimony about their nitrous experience on there 3L?

TRicker made that kinda power on a tired 2.5 - but after a celoniod problem the motor went. You should be able to hit 300 easy on a properly tuned N2O setup.

TRicker made that kinda power on a tired 2.5 - but after a celoniod problem the motor went. You should be able to hit 300 easy on a properly tuned N2O setup.

Nah, i doubt i'll hit 300. I've got a straight 3L, no hybrid. But w/a properly tuned nitrous setup i should be able to easily hit low 13's at the track and raise some eyebrows.lol:)

A full 3L with stock intake and exhaust dows ~180-185. A 100 shot plus headers and a better intake will get you there with ease.

Had I been able to get the nitrous dialed in with a good tune, I would have been over the 300/300 mark for sure. We had to stop the pulls early to avoid anything bad from heppening.

Mark

Since when was it a solenoid problem?
:ponder:
I thought it was related more towards the foot....

When it was on the dyno here, one of his fuel selonoids froze causing the engine to run extremly lean before he could shut it down. That is where the damage came from that lead to the bemise of his engine.

Even if he would have stopped when the sound pitch changed on the dyno, it still wouldn't have changed the fact that he would be going 3L. This post is not about what he did or what happened to his car. This post is about N2O on a 3L - it can be done, you can easily break 300, and can be done in a safe manner.

You dont know the history and work TRicker has gone through - he is not some n00b he threw a 100 shot on his car so he could blow it up on the dyno 700+ miles from home.

running lean didnt affect the engine like i thought it would, but thanks for backin me up kyle. the piston just went to pieces like they always do on the 2.5L. actually, ive seen worse engines blown up on N/A setups, the block was all intact and the other 5 pistons were lookin great.

i'm going to put nitrous on the next motor, probably a 100 shot but progressive so it wont actually get a full 100 feed until 5500+ rpm. the full 3L should make high 200's on HP and more torque, you will probably get 300-315 trq assuming you have proper mods. i would invest in a high flow exhaust, gutted precats or headers, plug wires, and colder plugs.

When it was on the dyno here, one of his fuel selonoids froze causing the engine to run extremly lean before he could shut it down. That is where the damage came from that lead to the bemise of his engine.

Even if he would have stopped when the sound pitch changed on the dyno, it still wouldn't have changed the fact that he would be going 3L. This post is not about what he did or what happened to his car. This post is about N2O on a 3L - it can be done, you can easily break 300, and can be done in a safe manner.

You dont know the history and work TRicker has gone through - he is not some n00b he threw a 100 shot on his car so he could blow it up on the dyno 700+ miles from home.

Don't get uppity with me...lol :laugh: j/k

I was there watching it when it happened including the details of it. That's how I know it wasn't a solenoid THAT time. I THOUGHT that's what you were saying(read: you DID say it).
I don't think the running lean the previous time actually caused any harm from looking at his picture. None of his other pistons were that bad. I think it just got too hot from back to back runs and he detonated. End of story IMO.
I never said anything about noob, or distance, or that I thought it was good/bad to run a 100 shot. IF you look carefully, I'm not the one criticizing him on whether he should/shouldn't have done it.

I reported what I observed, made a few wisecracks but otherwise I have sympathy for him. Why are you jumping on me for his defense when it was you who said he broke it with a stuck solenoid?

Also you must not know that I have easily 50 PMs from him over the past year where we have communicated back and forth on what he DID GO THROUGH to set up nitrous on his car and about possible options. So although I don't "know", I have a better idea than most of the "non-homies" out there.
If he's honest he'll tell you himself that I have been nothing but encouraging about his using nitrous in the past.
I've used nitrous myself....and by the way if I put nitrous on again I'd hit 300 wHP on a damn 2.5L no problem.
But no worries. :cool:

running lean didnt affect the engine like i thought it would, but thanks for backin me up kyle. the piston just went to pieces like they always do on the 2.5L. actually, ive seen worse engines blown up on N/A setups, the block was all intact and the other 5 pistons were lookin great.

i'm going to put nitrous on the next motor, probably a 100 shot but progressive so it wont actually get a full 100 feed until 5500+ rpm. the full 3L should make high 200's on HP and more torque, you will probably get 300-315 trq assuming you have proper mods. i would invest in a high flow exhaust, gutted precats or headers, plug wires, and colder plugs.

Hey, it wasn't the shock of the nitrous that caused it. I'm 90% sure it was the back to back runs raising the temps of the cylinder heads and then the combustion temps/pressures just got too high on the last run and it either detonated in that cylinder or extreme pressure cracked it.
Progressive feed wouldn't have fixed that, although it will sure save the rest of your drivetrain a lot of abuse.

Why not spend the bulk of your money pistons, maybe an oil squirter system like the Mazda6 engine so you can keep the pistons cooler, and a better oil cooler. Heat is your enemy because you can make so much power on that with nitrous so easily.

my plan is to run the progressive shot and get a really nice oil cooler. back to back runs were a bad idea for sure but i dont think that new oil squirter setup is feasable for me. another thing i was thinking of is i could possibly still be running lean enough (12.5:1 ish) to keep the combustion temps high. i am going to invest in an EGT guage before i run nitrous again, that woulda told me after the first run if my temps got too high to take another pull. it definately wasnt a good idea now that i think about it, as the car wasnt moving and the fan was barely helping the situation.... :) either way the engine bay is all cleaned up and the a/c is removed (lines and all that) now i just need to see if the exchanger in front of the radiator can come off or if it's gotta stay.

Back