• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

SZ08 - Start Planning Now

Brent372

Official SE Event Coordinator
SVTFlea and myself are planning on going to all of SZ08.
We are exploring two options, one is obviously driving up and back. The second is taking the AutoTrain as far as we can and driving the rest.
Who else is thinking about going?
If we get enough people commited we may be able to get a discounted rate from AmTrak.

You pick up AutoTrain in Sanford, FL and it ends just South of Washington D.C. From there it is about a 550 mile drive to the Detroit area.
That is 550 vs 1300 if you are here in South Florida like I am.
Rates on the autotrain vary and the fare-finder on the website doesn't go all the way out to May, 2008 yet.
I have played around on it and found fares as low as $89 / person and $140 / car. I have also found them as high as $129 / person and $230 / car.
So the price is very up in the air right now.
You can always visit http://tickets.amtrak.com/itd/amtrak/autotrain for more info.
At the higher end it seems like it might be less expensive to drive (counting gas / hotels / etc) while at the lower end it might be about the same.
My issue is do I want to drive 1300 miles to get there on Thursday morning, then be in the state of mind to turn around, drive 2 1/2 hours more then take my baby out on a road couse.

Last edited:
Autotrain sounds like fun! Well, sort of, lol. If I went to SZ, I'd be the ultimate troll, no? haha. We'll see, but it would be fun!

Mike.

OK... We get it... You own a Mercury. At least ditch the Cougar and get a Mystique. There is a sweet white one for sale in Miami. Black Leather. Automatic. V6. Only $2000. 80K Miles. Buy that. Swap your SVT UIM / LIM / TB the ditch the Cougar. Done deal. You still have a mercury, but you won't troll anymore.

im ready for the drive brent, thats half the fun of a road trip with a bunch of other enthusiasts. although a train ride could be fun too

Back