• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

bad gas?

elraido

I kant speel
I bought gas the other day and then 14 miles later the check engine light comes on. It was on when I bought the car (a month ago) and I brought it in and it was a couple of fuel related codes. They thought it was bad gas and reset it. Stayed off until I got gas again, like I said, and I am going to go to another place and get gas after I use up all of this. So, to reset the computer it is fuse number 11 under the hood right (3 amp?)? And how long do I have to have it out before it all resets.

Well I am looking at the book for it, and you were right..

Fuse #11-- 3 amp rating-- Violet- EEC Ignition module (memory)

So that would be the one, give it a whirl :)

did you even bother to get the CEL Code number? I find it hard to believe you got bad gas twice at two different gas stations.

Get the code read... its probably an EVAP code.

Check your gas cap for leaks. and to reset the code, its 4 and 11. (20amp and 3amp)

Get the code read... its probably an EVAP code.

Check your gas cap for leaks. and to reset the code, its 4 and 11. (20amp and 3amp)

+1.

If it is the gas cap, it is a cheap fix. But you won't know unless you get the code.

Thereis no place around here that does it for free. grrrr. Maybe I should just buy a reader. I am thinking it might be the gas cap. Sometimes it doesn't want to screw on right the first time, but after a little bit of fiddling it clicks like normal.

I had a cap that was hard to tighten, even though the threads looked OK. A new cap from the dealer solved the problem. The CEL will come on if the cap isn't seated. It's still a little picky about alignment when I put the cap back on, would it be any other way on a Ford:crazy:

Back