• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Break Light

99 Silver SE

Be Gentle I'm New Here
Has anyone else had any problems with their break light not shutting off? My break light will not turn off, and I've tried looking into it, but can't seem to find any results.

Would anyone here have any solutions or have any idea why this is happening?

did u replace the light bulb recently?
sometimes if u put the bulb in backwards it reverses when it is brighter and darker.

u also might have a short somewhere.

try the brake light switch it may have gone bad or is stuck ... if you stick your toes under the brake pedal and lift up litely does it shut them off if so its the switch under the top end of the brake pedal...brake light switch.... I had one go bad in my grand prix gtp once also in my stealth rttt hope this helps you

The only time my Contour's brake light stayed on was when I had a leaky caliper and no brake fluid in the reservoir. :eek:

Being "low on brake fluid" isn't your only problem here. You're obviously leaking fluid from somewhere. The reservoir doesn't just magically empty :p. I recommend checking your brake lines and calipers for any leaking. Get it fixed before you run into any bigtime problems. My wheel cylinder died and brake fluid went everywhere. I had to refill on fluid three FULL TIMES. I let it go way too long because I almost had to get new drums because of it...:blackeye:

Being "low on brake fluid" isn't your only problem here. You're obviously leaking fluid from somewhere. The reservoir doesn't just magically empty :p. I recommend checking your brake lines and calipers for any leaking. Get it fixed before you run into any bigtime problems. My wheel cylinder died and brake fluid went everywhere. I had to refill on fluid three FULL TIMES. I let it go way too long because I almost had to get new drums because of it...:blackeye:

Hey genious, the fluid level drops as the pads wear. Some manufacturers actually consider the Brake light in the dash to be a low pad warning indicator.

Hey genious, the fluid level drops as the pads wear. Some manufacturers actually consider the Brake light in the dash to be a low pad warning indicator.

Ding ding...

the pads are thinner, and thus compress in closer to the rotor itself. this decrease in distance between the two means that the caliper has to have more fluid in there under pressure in order to maintain brake pressure.

that "more fluid" comes from "somewhere", and that somewhere is the fluid resevoir.
'

All that said, it's never a bad idea to make sure that you don't have a leak in the brake system after kicking a light out of nowhere. Just a quick once over is all that's necessary.

All that said, it's never a bad idea to make sure that you don't have a leak in the brake system after kicking a light out of nowhere. Just a quick once over is all that's necessary.

Thank you, at least someone doesn't tear me apart...The amount of brake fluid loss necessary for the light to REMAIN on would indicate that there is a leak in the system.
Has anyone else had any problems with their break light not shutting off? My break light will not turn off, and I've tried looking into it, but can't seem to find any results.

Would anyone here have any solutions or have any idea why this is happening?

Ding ding...

the pads are thinner, and thus compress in closer to the rotor itself. this decrease in distance between the two means that the caliper has to have more fluid in there under pressure in order to maintain brake pressure.

that "more fluid" comes from "somewhere", and that somewhere is the fluid resevoir.
'
Yeah, except if you are one of those diligent types that bleeds the brakes and clutch or renews the fluid once a year whether they need to or not! :laugh:
Karl

Thank you, at least someone doesn't tear me apart...The amount of brake fluid loss necessary for the light to REMAIN on would indicate that there is a leak in the system.

Actually.. no.. the amount of fluid loss to cause the light to REMAIN on would be right at your pad-life limit, if you are a normal to aggressive driver.

Can you MAKE your pads last long enough to have the light not come on at all? sure.. anything is possible, but normally, the light will come on as the pads are JUST at the limit.

Even when my brake fluid reservoir was empty (bone dry), the light only flickered on and off. It never went on even when my pads were completely gone, it only did when the right rear caliper was leaking.

Definitely check for brake fluid leaks and keep an eye on that reservoir. Whether or not a leak may be happening it is a good precaution just in case.

Last edited:
If you have rear drum brakes then check the wheel cylinders for leaking-Do this by taking off the drum. If you have discs all around then you would check all the hoses from hard line to caliper for wetness or visable leaks, if nothing found, check hard lines for possible rusting of lines. At some point if there is a leak in the brake lines or fitting to calipers or flex hoses you should find it by the fluid coming from that point.
Frank

Back