• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

door dent

elraido

I kant speel
When I bought my car there was a dent in the door. It is a a decent sized one, about between the size of a football and softball. Should I;
A.) Buy a junk yard door and swap out the interior stuff

B.) Insurance company pay for part of it

C.) Try and fix it even though it wouldn't look perfect.

with option A i was wondering if any 98+ tour door of the same color would work. Cause this would seem to be the best option, as long as they don't try to screw me.

In for answer. My brother has a dent like 2x3' and I told him to swap out a door from the junkyard, but what about the door locks and such? How much of a hassle would it be to swap in the old stuff?

If there isn't a paintless dent repair guy around your area. Get a door from the junk yard. Check the wiring harness to see that it has the same stuff as yours (if not You can change out the harness) The lock swaps out after disconnecting the electricts. Swap both door handle and the latch as a unit then you don't need to separate them. Should take about 10 minutes for the lock & handel after removing the interior door panel.

Any door should work but it is best to get the same year, and of course check the paint code for a match. There was a small change in the workings of the mirrors, somewhere around 98, but then again you can change yours over it is only three screws.

Have you tried to take the o'l toilet plunger to it and pop it out yourself? That works well a lot of the time on dents without creases in them.

Your option "B" why would you think the insurance company would fix it, when you bought it that way?

my 2 cents

If there isn't a paintless dent repair guy around your area. Get a door from the junk yard. Check the wiring harness to see that it has the same stuff as yours (if not You can change out the harness) The lock swaps out after disconnecting the electricts. Swap both door handle and the latch as a unit then you don't need to separate them. Should take about 10 minutes for the lock & handel after removing the interior door panel.

Any door should work but it is best to get the same year, and of course check the paint code for a match. There was a small change in the workings of the mirrors, somewhere around 98, but then again you can change yours over it is only three screws.

Have you tried to take the o'l toilet plunger to it and pop it out yourself? That works well a lot of the time on dents without creases in them.

Your option "B" why would you think the insurance company would fix it, when you bought it that way?

my 2 cents

for option b just "a guy hit me in the parking lot" thing. But then I am guessing my rates would go up and I really don't want to do that.

for option b just "a guy hit me in the parking lot" thing. But then I am guessing my rates would go up and I really don't want to do that.
I don't know about your state but around here, if you get comprehensive insurance then they take pictures of existing damage that was on the car when you bought it. This is obviously so you can't claim it.

Paintless dingmeister FTW.

I don't know about your state but around here, if you get comprehensive insurance then they take pictures of existing damage that was on the car when you bought it. This is obviously so you can't claim it.

Paintless dingmeister FTW.

nope they don't do it around here. But I figured I wouldn't go that way anyways....way too much of a hassle and like you said it is illegal.

Yah, I had a hit & run here in the school parking lot. Went around to everyones blue car (blue smudges along the ding guard) and didn't find ****. Bit the bullet and bought a mystique door (didn't know guards are different.)Everything took about 3 hours. Including pulling the old one off at a junkyard, stripping it there. Taking home, cleaning, pulling old door and swapping stuff. Pretty easy if you can your time. Hardist part was squeezing the door into the contour :crazy:

It is one thing to think like a scoundrel, and another thing to act like one.....
getting a new door is a good choice.

Don't make a bogus claim on your insurance. Get a new door or look for a repair shop to fix it properly lest you feel like trying your hand at it. :)

Back