• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

More fun than any mechanic could ever ask for.......

SVTGT350

CEG'er
Originally Posted by blindside. AMG
My Private War: Operation SLR Evaporator (56k)

So I thought I’d share a little SLR project with you AF guys since you’ve known me before I even went to SLR training. I think I mentioned in that other thread that I was going to be a “back-up” to the original SLR technician…turns out I was wrong. He didn’t want to work on the car anymore so I’m pretty much the only one who works on it. It has its ups and downs. I love the experience but the hours can be long and very unrewarding (pay wise) at times.

So about two weeks ago we had 4, yes 4, SLR’s come in at around the same time. One was an early ’05 model that had 900 miles on it. Whoever owns it never drives it, in fact it didn’t even have up to date registration on it. The car sat in a garage for pretty much the entire time so when I came in to the shop it had 14 recall/service campaigns. So that took a fair bit of time but campaigns are campaigns, I have most of them down to a science. Another came in with a “fuel malfunction” lamp indication on the instrument cluster…turned out to just be a simple A/C hose since it had almost no refrigerant in it. The fuel is cooled by the A/C system so when the fuel sensors saw the fuel getting too hot it throws up the malfunction light. The third came in for like 2 campaigns and a rattle from the engine compartment, nothing big, just a heat shield hitting an intercooler.

Then there’s THIS car. Came in with a “fuel malfunction” light on like the other. I figured it was another A/C leak before I even looked at the car and ended up being right. The only difference is that as soon as I turned the A/C on a strong refrigerant/oil smell came shooting out of the A/C vents. My immediate reaction was “oh ****!”. That smell coming through the vents can only mean one thing….evaporator. So I did the usual pressure checks and leak detection tests and came to the conclusion that it was the evaporator which requires removal of….well, you’ll see. I tell my foreman and he agrees with the diagnosis. So he gets on the horn to MBUSA and calls for a technical assistance rep to come out and verify it, a job this big needs the MB The rep spent another 6 hours with me and the car and finally gave me the ok to do the job. So I now present to you how to replace an A/C evaporator on the SLR :

Day 1:

First off, remove the left side fender:
evap01.jpg

That’ll give you room to remove the left muffler and heat shields:

(exhaust already removed in this photo)

evap03.jpg

evap05.jpg

Now dig your hands into that tiny hole to remove the heater hoses to the heater core and then to the A/C expansion valve on the fire wall…yeah, it’ll hurt like hell:

evap04.jpg

Good, now remove the steering wheel and center console assembly:

evap06.jpg

Don’t forget the left seat, carpet, and trim:

evap02.jpg

evap07.jpg

evap08.jpg

evap12.jpg

Continued.................

Continued.................

And now the right side:

evap10.jpg

evap11.jpg

And who can forget to remove the entire trunk trim to gain access to the battery cables?:

evap09.jpg

Day 2:

Started the next morning by removing the entire dash assembly.

evap13.jpg

evap14.jpg

It comes out complete with dash and heater housing together. It’s insanely heavy, takes at least three to remove it safely without damaging panels:

evap16.jpg

evap17.jpg

Continued again................

Continued again................

Shot of the backside:

evap18.jpg

Open shot of that birds nest we saw early in the right kick panel:

evap15.jpg

Now remove the heater housing from the dash panel:

evap20.jpg

Dash carcass:

evap21.jpg

And this little ******* is what all the fuss is about. Such a small component and a small leak causes all this commotion:

evap22.jpg

And a shot of the scene:

evap23.jpg

After I took that last shot the MB rep came in to check out the operation just out of curiosity. This is only the third on in the country ever done, yay, I feel so lucky. Anyways, I ended today by installing the new evaporator and even got the dashboard put back in the car. Did a vacuum check to make sure no more leaks are present. The A/C system is now holding refrigerant and the car is ready to be put back together.

Will MB let you give the pics to the owner? I think he/she might be shocked seeing what the car went through to fix "that little light" ;)

Wow! Talk about invasive brain surgery!

My questions are as follows:

1. How many hours did it take you to complete the repair? I know you are not done yet but let us know.

2. Are you paid by commission (time study book) or salary?

3. If you are paid by the old time study book form of commission, how many hours of pay does the book say you get for the job? I hope this isn't one of those 20 hour repairs that pays 5 - 10 hours labor.

Mr. Spindlelegs

Wow!!!! Nice post. I wonder if sqeeks and rattles will crop up with all that disassembly. I know Contours tend to after dash removal. That one might be easier than a Tour though. And correct, I will never beotch about an alt. again. Hahaha

Wow! Talk about invasive brain surgery!

My questions are as follows:

1. How many hours did it take you to complete the repair? I know you are not done yet but let us know.

2. Are you paid by commission (time study book) or salary?

3. If you are paid by the old time study book form of commission, how many hours of pay does the book say you get for the job? I hope this isn't one of those 20 hour repairs that pays 5 - 10 hours labor.

Mr. Spindlelegs
You'd need to ask these questions on the site where this post originated from. Since this is a new car, I'd have to say that for question #2, it's warranty work. When I worked for Merc, we were all on commission and warranty work didn't pay as well as regular book time but it never does no matter who you work for. We actually got less per hour than Ford paid at the same time because the dealer took a bigger cut. This is probably a normally 40 hour repair that will pay 30 or so. Techs usually always lose on warranty work.
Karl

Reminds me of the heater box replacements on a couple of SAABs.
same dealio...remove the whole dash and the seats...but in that case it was only a $40K automobile!

When I worked for Merc, we were all on commission and warranty work didn't pay as well as regular book time but it never does no matter who you work for. We actually got less per hour than Ford paid at the same time because the dealer took a bigger cut. This is probably a normally 40 hour repair that will pay 30 or so. Techs usually always lose on warranty work.
Karl

I guess it's kidna ironic how ford pays more and their quality is eleventy billion times worse - but also supposedly mercedes' quality has gone downhill as well in recent years.

seems to me you'd wanna pay the people who fix stuff well enough to fix it right, then to make them work faster so they get more jobs done and thus more comission.

yes i have heard that same thing about mercedes quality going down hill. heard the same about BMW. and i saw a SLR today. ew

just hope you never had a bit left over. nice to see of whats involved, more than i'd expected.

I guess it's kidna ironic how ford pays more and their quality is eleventy billion times worse - but also supposedly mercedes' quality has gone downhill as well in recent years.

seems to me you'd wanna pay the people who fix stuff well enough to fix it right, then to make them work faster so they get more jobs done and thus more comission.
I guess I was kind of vague when I wrote that. In dollars per hour labor time, Mercedes charged more. However at the Ford dealers I worked for, we got 50% of the labor. At Merc, it was 45%. This was back in the 70s too so I'm sure it's different now. I believe the Mercs were much better quality then and I was really Jonesing for a 300 SEL 6.3 at that time when it was the world's fastest four door. I still might get one for old time's sake. :laugh:
Karl

I guess I was kind of vague when I wrote that. In dollars per hour labor time, Mercedes charged more. However at the Ford dealers I worked for, we got 50% of the labor. At Merc, it was 45%. This was back in the 70s too so I'm sure it's different now. I believe the Mercs were much better quality then and I was really Jonesing for a 300 SEL 6.3 at that time when it was the world's fastest four door. I still might get one for old time's sake. :laugh:
Karl

Yeah now is quite a bit different. Most techs aren't paid percentages anymore, at least here in CA. Most dealers pay by the book, and the tech is paid an hourly rate but its generally nowhere near 50%. Ford warranty labor times have gone to s**t while MBZ is one of the better ones now with warranty times just about matching standard labor times.

Back