• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Won't turn over at all. Motor siezed?

sonic03cobra

CEG'er
So last night I was driving home and heard a knocking. Got home check my oil and it was low. Added some oil and figured that should fix it start to drive to work today and still hear some knocking and then it just stoped. Go to turn it over and sounds like the flywheel doesn't even move an inch. The more I think about it, it was a deeper knock than a valve would sound like. Do you think I broke a rod or could it be my clutch (it has been slipping a little).

Andy

hhmmm, sounds expensive! My guess would be a rod. Push in the clutch and see if the car will roll, that will eliminate the clutch.

I'll have a 2.5L you can buy. All you'll need is your UIM/LIM and timing cover from your motor. She's got 52,000...

Good luck

So last night I was driving home and heard a knocking. Got home check my oil and it was low. Added some oil and figured that should fix it start to drive to work today and still hear some knocking and then it just stoped. Go to turn it over and sounds like the flywheel doesn't even move an inch. The more I think about it, it was a deeper knock than a valve would sound like. Do you think I broke a rod or could it be my clutch (it has been slipping a little).

Andy

Definitely sounds like rod knock, new motor time.

Do a 3L

check your alternator, too. I just had a bad knock, then it died and wouldnt turn over. I thought for sure it was the motor. Turns out the knock was the bearings in the alternator, and it siezed. I pulled the belt off and it started right up.

So it turns over but won't start. Tried with booster box but wasn't enough. Charging it right now to see if I can get it to start or might try with different battery. Has anyone else heard of knocking in an alernator?

I did some more troubleshooting and eliminated clutch and trans. My alternator is bad but that is not what was making the knocking noise. I did get it running and sounds fine at idle but if you give it gas it will start to knock and jinggle like something is broken and moving around free in there. It also makes a really hollow knock every once in awhile.

Would a broken rod be intermitent or would it be contistant?

The noise is coming from from the passanger side of the motor could it be a timing chain or something not rod or valve?

What are some standard diognois'?

Your rod bearing is going that holds one of your rods. therefore letting the rod jiggle and slap around. Any more pressure you put on it or keep running the car expect alot of damage to the heads, valve and suspected cylinder wall.

You have the same problem we most have encountered the rod bearing is spun and you are just going to weld it to the crank if you continue running the motor then it will break the rod and act as a meat grinder in your motor. Start saving up for a 3 liter you will need a new motor. Your crank is bad and so is your rod from what you are describing and when the motor get hot the bearing stick to the crank and doesn't allow you to start it.

Check the cataytic converters

Check the cataytic converters

Check if the catalytic converters have loose shields (clamp with repair kit from auto parts store or several hose clamps) or loose internal structure.

If it is a spun rod bearing (pretty sure it it) are there any shade tree fixes I can do for cheap just to get it to a dealership and trade it in?

Andy

I'll have to agree with the rest, get a new engine. The repair bill is probably worth more than a new engine. I would reccomend a 2.5 though instead of the 3L. That's just me.

Back