• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Car Idle Really High When Not In Gear

What can be the cause of my car idling really hi like 3 grand, whats normal idling when car is not moving?

800 RPMS...

busted Throttle position sensor... or something could be proping open the throttle body plate slightly.

Same here but it's going to 5000...think its my own fault

Same here but it's going to 5000...think its my own fault

I replaced the water pump over the weekend.

I removed the airfilter cover/maf etc to get some room and stuffed a paper shop towel in the throttle body to keep any gunk out.

Well, I went to drive it to work today (didnt do a shakedown drive when I put it back together on Sunday...dumb!)

And it started to rev to 5000 with clutch in. It would hand there for about 20-30 seconds then drop to normal...then do it all over again.

I drove it back home and took the truck to work. Driving in I was thinking about what might be the issue.

I did find that the wires at the TPS connector were exposed so I wrapped them with electrical tape but I'm pretty sure that it OK.

I think I may have forgotten to remove that damn paper towel from the throttlebody and its holding it open.

I'll find out when I pull the hose after work...what a bonehead move if thats the problem....

What can be the cause of my car idling really hi like 3 grand, whats normal idling when car is not moving?

It could also be the IAC. My car was doing this recently when warm, but I cleaned the IAC with Berryman's and all is back to normal.

Back