• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Why does my '99 SE "SPORT" have rear drum brakes???

BillyT

CEG'er
Was all wheel discs, or even anti-lock brakes an option the original owner skipped or did all SE's come this way?

Having drum brakes is one of the most non-Sport things I can think of for a car tagged as a "Sport" model.

you have an atx so you get drum brakes ....

pre98 any V6 had 4-wheel disk

post 98 you need a 5-spd to get 4-wheel disk ...

zetecs never had 4-wheel disk ...

Yeah, they got cheaper.

I'm amazed at the equipment on my '95 GL (yes, the lowly GL): V6 with traction control - so 4 wheel disk brakes. Power locks, power windows; heated side mirrors. Lighted door locks (but no keyless entry - oh well). And even the clock and glove compartment light that disappeared on later years.

That is one thing that I do miss on my SVT, the light package from my 95. And the rod shifter, and the better quality interior, and the steering wheel, and the ability to drive it up ramps :)

Yeah, they got cheaper.

I'm amazed at the equipment on my '95 GL (yes, the lowly GL): V6 with traction control - so 4 wheel disk brakes. Power locks, power windows; heated side mirrors. Lighted door locks (but no keyless entry - oh well). And even the clock and glove compartment light that disappeared on later years.

4wheel disk was part of the package when you picked the V6 ... traction was an option, the lights where part of the light package groups ... power locks and windows where standard I do believe ...

To expand a bit. 4 wheel disc brakes were standard from 95 to 97 with the V6 no matter which trans. Starting in 98, only the stick shift V6 got rear discs.

In further thought as to why your 99 SE sport has rear drum brakes is because Ford was stupid in believing that they could decontent the car and the buying public would not notice.

Jac Nassar cost Ford dearly. Absolute stupidity.

Last edited:
Back