• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Clutch worn out?

posthuman63t

Veteran CEG'er
I bought my spec stage 1 last summer when I did my 3L swap. I properly broke it in with city driving (stop and go) for the first about 700 miles. I've noticed that any time I get on the gas in 1st it feels like the clutch is slipping. I can drop it with gas and get a burnout going sometimes, but other times it will just rev up and the car will move slowly. When I take it slow and get in high rpms and shift quickly into second, it doesn;t quite grab right away either. it will feel like it doesnt catch for a second or two. To me it sounds as if the clutch is shot. Under normal driving conditions there are no issues at all.

Now when the engine and trans were out, the flywheel was resurfaced, yes both surfaces were done. I don't know if I should just live with it, or try a new stage 1. I would like to go to a stage 2 because its easier to drive than the stage 3 but its kevlar, and if I managed to glaze this clutch, I think I might be setting myself up for failure on the stage 2. Any suggestions are welcome.

My first thought would be maybe there is some air in the system. I would bleed it before I replaced the clutch. Use a plastic hose on top of the bleeder screw so you can see if there is any air coming out instead of making a mess and just look for bubbles.:rolleyes:

I got my spec put in like a month ago, it's not sliping but sounds horrible, any idea what can it be? I drove like 1500 miles since but no change, still sound when i let it of slowly.

Search for "gear rollover" and it is probably normal, however, annoying.

No, your talking about clutch chatter (gear rollover noise) which is a rattling sound that occurs when the clutch is not depressed at all and goes away when you press in the clutch. He is talking about a noise when the clutch pedal is being pressed or let out and his noise is probally a loud humming noise.

.....but sounds horrible .....when i let it of slowly.

I'll let that guy verify that though whenever he chimes back in.

Last edited:
yea but a lot of that has been from tasso. He had a bad experince and makes spec sound bad every time he has the opportunity. :blackeye:

Hardly all from me. If you read through the threads you will find many people having failures, noise and other issues.

You claim this list of failures, but the facts seem to indicate otherwise:

1. Tasso - failure
2. SVT SHO - noise, probably TOB, not clutch
3. MattyK - noise, shudder
4. Fordman302 - noise, probably TOB, not clutch
5. Class SVT - premature wear? not exactly known for driving easy in his Hybrid 3L on a stage 1 clutch.

Hardly all from me. If you read through the threads you will find many people having failures, noise and other issues.

I have had 3 different spec clutches on different Contours and never had a problem. I just ordered another one too. Stage 3+ :). I think that the few people that have had problems aren't 100% sure what exactly was the reason for the problem. Wayyy to many variables to just blame things on the clutch company.

Lets talk facts. The following list of names have all voiced a issue with their transmission, (from not normal noises that could indicate a problem to a total failure), after installing a Spec clutch. All of these are very low mileage. These are names that are ALL from only active threads up right now in the transmission section. I wonder what I would find if I dig back and look for more. I am sure that they are all ....cough.....caused by bad throw out bearings and poor installations.
tasso
posthuman63
crazy russian
8000rpm
matty k
svt3rivieres
contourguy9817
svt2sho
classsvt

Not to restart this exhausted pissing match... but how am I "not exactly known for driving easy in my Hybrid 3L?" :laugh: Sorry I just thought that was funny. But I'll say that I have never taken my car to a track, dropped the clutch, or double-clutched. I may have got on it a lot, but I have never even come close to abusing this clutch. There's my two cents.

1. Tasso - failure
2. SVT SHO - noise, probably TOB, not clutch
3. MattyK - noise, shudder
4. Fordman302 - noise, probably TOB, not clutch
5. Class SVT - premature wear? not exactly known for driving easy in his Hybrid 3L on a stage 1 clutch.

Back