• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

verification of short block

cuda06

Veteran CEG'er
The wrecked csvt that I recently purchased supposedly has a 3L hybrid in it. What is the easiest way to verify that the short block is truly a 3L?
Thanks

look at the heads, are they oval port or not, also there should be a casting number on the block, check with ford on the numbers

I am just trying to verify the short end of the block, not the heads.

Anyone know where the casting number is on these blocks?

IIRC there are some tabs that have to be cut off when mating a 3L to a mtx-75, would it be easy to just look for evidence of this?

Oh, and BTW, I can't verify by whether it "hauls ass" or not bc it is wrecked. It still runs and shifts just fine but I am not about to take it out long enough to rip it around.

sorry i passed the hybrid part up. i dont know where the casting marks are really i think right near the tranny it says 3.0 but im not sure

For the cut off tabs, look at the timing cover. On the left side where the alt. bracket is, there should be 1-2 tabs cut off to allow the alt. bracket to fit.

I am just trying to verify the short end of the block, not the heads.

Anyone know where the casting number is on these blocks?

IIRC there are some tabs that have to be cut off when mating a 3L to a mtx-75, would it be easy to just look for evidence of this?

Oh, and BTW, I can't verify by whether it "hauls ass" or not bc it is wrecked. It still runs and shifts just fine but I am not about to take it out long enough to rip it around.

If it is a 3L it will have a cut marks on it right where the bellhousing meets the transmission by the front motormount/rollrestrictor.
Right around where the SVT oil-water cooler pipes are routed you should see that aluminum skirting on the block was cut out and the mounting 'ear' for the ATX would be cut off right below that.

Then in the front by the left side of the timing cover where the alternator mounting bracket goes there is another cut section. This one is much harder to see.

Depending on the year, the early hybrids will have a small hole in the block skirt leading into the bell housing as well.

It it is a true hybrid with 2.5L heads you should be able to see the rear oil drainback plugged on the corner block right under the head. This is right above the cut portion I was describing earlier where the transmission meets the block.

Doesn't a 3L have a 3.0 raised out of the block somewhere? Swear I've seen that. Don't recall where though.

From http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=3L&Number=101308

Yes, there are casting numbers on the block. However, it is only a casting number and technically does not indicate what the block was machined to. But it's usually a very good indicator.

The casting number on the block will take the form
RF-XXXX-6015-XX
RF stands for Rough Finish (i.e. a casting)
XXXX is the prefix
6015 is the base number for all block castings. 6010 is the base number for a block that has been machined.
XX is the suffix (revision level)

After some searching, I have the following info for you. I've listed the major revisions to the block that you shold be concerned about.
1995-1998 3.0L - Prefix will be F5DE

1999 3.0L - XW4E-6015-AE or XW4E-6015-AG - Extra transmission bolt hole added. Extra oil feed added to RH side for Jag Cylinder Head VCT.

2000-2002 3.0L - XW4E-6015-BA - Change to small, 8mm knock sensor hole. Casting number moved.

2003 3.0L 3W4E-6015-
2004-2005 3.0L 4F1E-6015
2006 3.0L 6E5E-6015

The above should be true 95% of the time. Sometimes things update ahead of time. So a late '98 engine might have a 1999 block. Or a late '99 engine could have the '00 casting number but a large knock sensor hole. That goes back to the casting number not directly correlating to the finish machined part. They're not going to throw away perfectly useable castings because the number isn't right for tommorrow's new model year launch.

1995-1999: You find the casting number on the RH side of the engine (oil filter is LH) at the rear directly above the large 3/4" pipe plug.

2000+: Casting number moved to just behind the RH head deck. So it's not on the top or the side. Probably hard to view with the engine in the car and the head gasket sticking out.

Hope this helps,
Procyon

Back