• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

the start of a widebody kit let me kno what you think

yamaha racer 686

Hard-core CEG'er
well i thought id try and start a wide body kit so we can get less offset and wider wheels under our fenders.

DSC00409.jpg

DSC00406.jpg

DSC00410.jpg

DSC00406-1.jpg

let all the flaming begin i had this in the asthetics fourm but i need more input. let me kno what u think. what i should change. all comments are welcome

Too "look at me i have a widebody" for my tastes.....I'm a fan of the subtle mods. Do a wide body, but don't make it gaudy as hell. See the Saleen car for inspiration.

i was thinking of making a mold of it then carving the mold to look better?

big problem is going to be the rear since the door makes up most of the fender.

and in the front the bumper makes up part of the fender.

so i would need to make add ons for those pieces to make it look right.

See the Saleen car for inspiration.
Word, the Saleen's widebody looks nice as hell.

4.jpg

But I doubt you could pull off those flares like that without a different sideskirt.

What you have is looking pretty good, how many inches further does it give? I'm afraid of making the widebody too drastic, since it might look odd having to curve way back in to meet the bottom of the fender. I'm just interested to see what this looks like finished :laugh:

Just for reference, I was thinking something along the lines of this (but no vents):

BMWFlossman.jpg

But that Saleen Wide body will do it in a pinch.

im about 1-2 inches wider then stock on each side. yeah i dont want to go wide or they look really bad. right now im trying to get it the whole thing equal. kerry cools got a great idea there i like that ill print out the pics and ill try to mold some more. need to find some cheap clay

i also dony want to have to make front and rear bumpers. just add-ons to the orginals would be ideal. im happy on how far i got in a week

Last edited:
I definetely think its a good start, although I think your going to run into some problems when finalizing the bodyline of the flare so its a nice smooth clean line around the fender. Because its just a big blob right now, I think youll have issues with it not looking wavy.

If it were me, I would probably would have put some high density foam on the fender and glued pieces together and then sculped the shape of the wide body with a knife. After that, i would have laid fiberglass over it and then sanded the finished product.

Or, probably the best way to do it, is to get some thin gauge steel and bend it around the fender and tack weld it to get a nice round flare thats even and requires minimal filling.

yeah i can easily start over with foam if needed. im going to keep going with what i have no for alittle. sand what i have. then put bondo to smooth it out. then make a mold

That's going to look like crap. Needed to start with a metal base. Usually flares from an Audi A4 are sourced and welded onto the fenders. It's also going to crack not soon after it's painted.

Another example of a decent wide body adventure. I think they did a great job in thinking it up. Too bad the car didn't look anything like that when the owner went for it...

What ever happened
to his SVT after he picked it up?

Last edited:
question for you guys

what type do you guys want me to try to make.

1. a wide fender where its wider but competely blended in. starts normal gets wider for the wheel well and then returns to normal.

2. wide body but the wider part is more noticable. like the bmw wide body posted in this thread

3. fender flare add ons but look molded.

Also should they curve up like i have them now or should they curve down. also should it be straight line from where it meets the fender to how high i want it( look at the bmw wide body or thr AAS body. i dont like the rear on the AAS becuase it doesnt match the front.

right now im using clay to get my desgining done. then ill move onto more permenent material to make a working prototype

Back