• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Is my sub blown (video)?

PurpleMystique

Hard-core CEG'er
Okay, I took a quick video with my cell phone. My sub is "off" until I push the cone in, at which point it will play for a few seconds and then die off again. There is a slight rattle to the sound when it hits, but the video makes it sound worse due to the mic on my phone maxing out. The tinsel leads are fine, nothing's visibly dead, but this happens. Is it blown? I got it in August so it's within its 1 year warranty still.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTytr2wbr9s

That thing is done, but you might want to check the wiring behind it, there might be some kind of short or something.

That thing is done, but you might want to check the wiring behind it, there might be some kind of short or something.

I pulled it out of the box and let it sit in my room for a day or so, made sure the tinsel leads had solid connections, then redid the wiring from the sub to the terminal and the terminal to the amp.

I have it registered with Infinity, but they will only respect the warranty if it was purchased from an authorized Infinity dealer. I got it from caraudioimage.com last August. What are the odds of them being Infinity authorized?

I agree...I think it's
toast.gif

Some have there own opinions about Infinity subs mine both blew.i ran to kappa perfects 12's blew them my buddy still has is and will still pound just has hard to this day..I ran a 1000 watt mono amp to mine

This is exactly why I didn't waste time with some $35 Lightning Audio sub from Wal-Mart...I'm only running 200 watts RMS to it, and it can take 250RMS/1000max. I sent an email to the retailer, we'll see what they have to say.

It looks like a bad connection to the cone the way it starts working when you press on it and stops after a second when you let go.. see if you can tighten up the wires that go from the connector to the cone. If all its really doing is rattling a little thats probably your problem.. A little duct tape will fix it. Professional? not really.. cheap and easy fix.. definitely! If you're interested I have a pair of JL 10w0's in a ported box for sale here: http://contour.org/ceg-vb/showthread.php?t=8409

The tinsel leads and the connections are definitely good still. And I just got this box built specifically to fit my car, so I'm not looking for something else, thanks though.

Alright, after sending 6 emails to the seller (caraudioimage.com) and hearing nothing, I sent one to Infinity and heard back in about an hour. They said it's probably a bad VC and asked for a copy of the receipt and the serial number for verification. About 10 minutes after sending that email I got an RMA number and instructions on sending it back for a replacement! Thumbs up to Infinity.

Back