• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Problems

navyBRADse

CEG'er
This is a '99 non SVT V6 Auto

When the car sits idle, even when the temperatures are not cold, and when the engine temperature is right where it should be, the car continuously revs up to 3000+ RPM when sitting idle, no matter if it is in park or in Drive. Then whenever I try to slow down the car wants to jump forward, almost as if its not shifting down correctly. (I really don't know much about cars so don't make fun of me if I'm wrong lol). The car also will idle down around 500 RPM when it has always idled around 1000, and you can tell when its at 500 that it is not running correctly, because the exhaust and everything else don't sound right. The car also has a tendency to die on the first couple starts, and once again this is not always when it is cold. It was around 48 degrees the other day and it didn't Any feedback would be great, as the garage I took it to obviously can't seem to find the problem.

HELP PLEASE!!!

at a guess it sounds like the mass air filter might not be reading the air intake right, perhaps the throttle body might physically be jammed, but that seems unlikely.

also you might want to check the idle air controller to see if its stuck open. (can cause revs at idle to be unusually high.)

Your Check Engine Light is probably on. And even if it is not on, take it to Autozone or Advance, have the codes read and post the exact codes here. Without them, it is harder for us to guess (... IAT, MAF, vacuum leak, moose, TB, acclerator, O2 sensor, PCM, and list goes on.....)

Alright I'll check on the codes (yes the engine light is on but it has been for a while due to an O2 sensor that was barely off)

Fixed the problem. It was a broken vacuum hose. Guessing it was broke on accident when the shop had the car for about 3 days. Thanks for the help guys

Back