• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Trunk Lids

Dave98SVT

CEG'er
Can someone tell me the difference between a pre 98 trunk lid and a 98+ trunk lid. Would a pre 98 lid work on a 98 svt. Would this look bad because I think they have different brake lights but, my friend keeps telling me a 96 lid would work on a 98.

they fit but dont match quite right the reflector design is different. and instead of a huge reflector you have small ones that connect to the taillights and house the backup lights. if you were going to use it then u should also use the pre98 tail lights

Pre-98 Trunklid (My license plate frame is molded though) :

CIMG2397.jpg

Post-98 Trunklid:

DSCF01882.jpg

The 98+ left and right taillights will physically match up perfectly to the pre98 trunk, but since the internal reflectors are shaped differently they will look slightly awkward. So it's ok to buy a pre98 trunklid and install it (and perfectly legal, you won't get pulled over for missing reflectors or anything), but you'll want to buy pre98 taillights as well when you get the chance for that aesthetic touch.

Nope. They don't match up.

you are correct sir. there is a larger gap between the taillights and the reflector when using 98+ taillights with pre-98 reflectors. looks a lot smoother and more stock-looking with the pre-98 taillights.

IMHO the pre-98 w/ Lip spoiler looks better than post-98, but like I said that is my opinion. But if you do get a pre-98 get one with a lip spoiler!!!

Before
orig.jpg

After!!!
orig.jpg

Back