• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Speedometer and RPM's not working right

tjbugs1

CEG'er
My speedometer and rpm gauge are not working right. They both jump to speeds like when go from 0-60 it will jump from o to 25 then up to like 43 and stop at around 55 or so. The rpms kind of come and go half the time it justs jumps up to the round about revs and the other half it will work until it gets to around 2000-2500 revs. I searched and found something about the "VSS" but I see this is more of a trouble with autos and mine is a standard but this still could be it.

This all started ether just after or before my alternator went out (like three weeks ago), basically at the same time. I tested the battery and it is good with a good charge. Any help! I am going to buy a car on Fri, might trade it in and want to try and get as much out of her as I can.

How did you test the battery? Use our tests in the M&M how to (also test the alternator). Or just get a new battery. Your bad alternator probably killed it. Also check wiring from battery to alternator and battery to ground (especially the one which goes under the battery tray).

Your symptoms are very similar to a dying battery. Also could be alternator but IIRC, you are on your 5th new one (?).

Try plunking another battery in just to test it as Tony said. It really sounds like a charging system problem. Wierd stuff happens when you are low on volts, and the most common thing affected is the guage cluster.

Gauges spiking

Gauges spiking

I had a similar problem with the gauges spiking and lights dimming on my ford work van. Went through battery, checked the cables, replaced alternator, traced wires for shorts ect. Could not find the problem. Finally had to take it into the shop. The mechanic went through the same items. The fix was to cleaning the engine block ground. Ground looked clean but he cleaned it any way. It corrected the problem right away. Completely remove ground bolt and clean all surfaces. Then reassemble and spray with terminal protector. Good luck Dan.

I had similar problem and mine is manual, Tony helped me with it. It ended up being may a combo of things. My VSS wiring was frayed and exposed and the problem went away for a week or so and same back. I lead it back to a bad battery connection.

How did you test the battery? Use our tests in the M&M how to (also test the alternator). Or just get a new battery. Your bad alternator probably killed it. Also check wiring from battery to alternator and battery to ground (especially the one which goes under the battery tray).

Your symptoms are very similar to a dying battery. Also could be alternator but IIRC, you are on your 5th new one (?).

I did the start car, test volts (14.38), then turn off with headlights on for 60secs (12.03), test. I will throw in the batt from my wifes 95 and see what comes of it, I know its good, and no this is my second alternator. But you were close :laugh:

..., and no this is my second alternator. But you were close :laugh:
2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th. What the hey! After the 2nd time, they are a breeze to R&R. Ask Rawburt. He can probably take it out in one half hour, blindfolded and with one arm tied behind his back. :laugh:

Back