• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Not the clock spring... No horn and cruise kills car?

Matty K

Hard-core CEG'er
Rounding out my list of weird car problems (all resolved now!), I had an airbag light flasing. No horn, no CC, so I figured it was the clock spring. Replaced it, no more airbag light.... but still no horn (the relay's good). The CC engages, but when I hit the brakes to turn it off, the car shut down. Literally, on the freeway, just turned off. Nailed the clutch, fired it back up, no problems. I haven't tested it since.

....Ideas?

Clock spring installed incorrectly, wiring issues for horn, brakes. I would check if wiring for brakes are crossed with ignition wiring. Check fuse panel first to see if it is rusted and what nots.

Edit. Fuse panel info with pics.
http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/s...er=1056473&page=&view=&sb=5&o=&fpart=all&vc=1

Autozonelink. Look at Fig 19. Brake switch light goes to combination switch (turn signal stalk). I would guess some wiring got chaffed and crossed when you were reinstalling the clock spring.
http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiB..._us/0900823d/80/1e/b3/2d/0900823d801eb32d.jsp

Last edited:
Thanks Tony; but I think we have a mixed problem.

I think the horn might not be connected at all (the mechanic thinks he unhooked it when we swapped the trans), and the stalling was related to an idle problem, and not necessarily the cruise control, as the car died on me randomly today without the CC engaged.

So, the idle problem... When sitting at idle, it sits at right about 750, and goes up and down about 100 or so every so often. The car runs and drives great, but when stopping, the idle falls to about 500, surges back up, and finally levels. Also, it's stalled on me twice now, coming off the gas both times. We're thinking maybe the TPS... Other ideas? No codes thrown.

Ok, I'll start there. I reset the idle this morning, and it seemed to have helped a little, but now there's massive throttle hang. I had taken the fix out, since I wasn't sure what was going on with the idle, but I'll probably just toss it back in once I clean/replace the IAC.

Replaced the IAC: No more idle woes! New problems, of course....

I was taking the car back to stock(ish) to get it through smog. So after I replaced the IAC, I put the stock airbox back on (I had a K&N and adapter on) and used my X-Cal to tune the car back to stock. It threw a CEL. So, I cleared it, drove it for a while, and it came back on. Here are the codes I pulled:

P0155 - Upstream Heated Oxygen Sensor circuit fault - Bank No. 2.
P1000 - OBD-II Monitor Testing Incomplete.
P1151 - Mass Air Flow Sensor Intermittent.

I do have MSDS headers, but with MIL eliminators installed, so I dunno about the first one. As for the other two, I have no idea.... Could my tune have been supressing the CEL?

Last edited:
Update, in case anyone is reading this. I re-tuned the car with the HypIll tune, and the CEL is gone. So, that answers that... now to figure out why, and what to do.

Back