• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

My dyno=low and mpg woo's

SVOFANATIC

Veteran CEG'er
Mod please move this if necessary. Car is a 98 E0 with an 02 3l swap true dual exhaust is the only other mod. Car on the stock tune makes 165/172 to the wheels with my tune it makes 170/176 to the wheels was told this is really low and my car gets 18-22mpg even though I have an afr of 14.7/1. Which is really low I barley get 200 miles to a tank.

It seems a bit low but it could be the dyno also. My old 3l didn't do too good either. It made 180/195 to the wheels with a tune. Although mine wasnt dyno tuned. Either way a stock svt makes around 165 to the wheels.

what injectors? oval port/split port? it could be the dyno, but i think those are low numbers

are the MPG's highway only or mixed city/highway? if its mixed then its a little lower than normal. If its highway, then its way low.

Do you have any cats on the car?

Highway... Only precast which may even be blown out bc I was getting the low efficiency code. SVT injectors port matched setup

dukeofsho's ported 3L in his SVT also had low HP/TQ numbers. Something around 175-180, but we thought it was because he ran factory headers and exhaust. :ponder:

'02 3L's also have been known to put out less power in our platform, but with a "tune" that you talk about it should be better...... :shrug:

No 150k and even then this is what it looks like.

CC86E528-02A3-4A40-925B-6EDC16CC37F5-5555-0000051C5B799D49.jpg

I honestly believe this engine was replaced. I've never seen an engine so clean not even a 50k mile one.

I will say that my last tank went to 250 miles and this one with me running %100 93 gas with no ethanol mixed in is doing much better.

Unfortunately even abused motors can look like that after a cleaner (or ATF for that matter) has been run through the oiling system. 150k is a pretty decent amount of miles.

I went through this before the car I bought this engine from was in a accident. And that's the reason it was in the Jy. I pulled the engine myself and there was an 04 Taurus engine there as well with 120k miles. But it looked like this.

6A36347A-154B-412F-B3E4-89FB00A93C52-5555-0000051C53FF35AF.jpg

The junkyard doesn't clean anything.

Unfortunately even abused motors can look like that after a cleaner (or ATF for that matter) has been run through the oiling system. 150k is a pretty decent amount of miles.

I don't believe mileage should have any effect (or at least, that BIG of an effect) on power if it truely is mantained. My last few SHO's have been well maintained high mileage cars (Read 180,000+ Miles) and have ran as strong as SHO before it. Heck, the engine in my current track car has 220,000+ miles on it.

-Sam

The heads can look clean...what matters is what the compression test showed you? Have you done one?

Oddly enough I tried to do one yesterday but the spark plug well threads were to short on the checker to reach down in.... Go figure.

dukeofsho's ported 3L in his SVT also had low HP/TQ numbers. Something around 175-180, but we thought it was because he ran factory headers and exhaust. :ponder:

'02 3L's also have been known to put out less power in our platform, but with a "tune" that you talk about it should be better...... :shrug:

My 3L hybrid dyno'd at 195whp and 182wtq with factory precats, cat, and exhaust. Only exhaust mod was the MSDS y pipe and it had an AEM short ram intake.

Back