• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Almost owned by crapbox Cavalier

Scottster

CEG'er
Last night I lined up with a half painted, half primered little red chevy 1995-ish Cavalier. A non Z-24, which I'm assuming had a 2.2 under the hood.
The thing had one of the worst buzzy sounding mufflers on it, but he managed to keep up with me through 2nd gear!
He did get me of the line with me looking at the revs instead of paying attention, and then the SVT didn't get solid traction until high in first gear.

...but still what gives?!!? I thought to myself I would have this guy easy. He def. didn't have a turbo.

I'm confused and my ego wants some of itself back!

I didn't read, anywhere in his post, that it didn't. He mentioned no speeds, and the only gear he mentioned was 1st and 2nd (both "track" gears.)

Why don't we stop being so overly assumptive, and answer if we can HELP him.

AKA: Your post added nothing to his situation, anyone elses situation, or the general demeanor of the thread. The only thing it added to was your post count. Why don't we start over, huh?

Do standard maintenance including cleaning UIM/LIM. Also sounds like you need better tires if you were slipping that much.

Or... as MapOfTaziFoSho stated, it could have been because you were sleeping at the launch. ;)

Or the guy could have just done some common sense mods to his car. THe old cavaliers could make some good power with just headwork and the old Quad4 cams. Same family of engines for a while as the Oldsmobile quad4 engine that was producing 180HP out of a 4cyl N/A back in 1988.... when everyone else's 4cyl were making 100-125hp. So never underestimate some creativity, or just general weight reduction with light mods and a good driver.

Heh... I thought of that too, but he said the Cavelier kept with him and didn't go away from him. ;)

I have a friend that has a Cavelier. It's the non-Z24, but it's still pretty fast (for a 2.0 or 2.2 (?)). They also have superchargers (which he's getting soon), but again... if that dood had one, he would have walked away from you.

hmm

Well thanks for shedding some light guys. Must have been a little bit of both...
a poor launch, and a dirty UIM/LIM (which I have not cleaned since I bought the car in Feb., and I doubt it was done before that) and a sleeper Cavalier.

Oh well ~sigh~

I have an 03 with the 2.2 Ecotec. It's not a race car, but it performs acceptably for what it is. Much better than I'd think an econobox should run.

I know what you're saying.

cavalier

cavalier

**** i have a cavy and they are no where near as weak as some people on here are acting like you put a 086 head and oil pump and some w41 cams and you have got a little monster on your hands dont underestimate them

**** i have a cavy and they are no where near as weak as some people on here are acting like you put a 086 head and oil pump and some w41 cams and you have got a little monster on your hands dont underestimate them

thats the problem with alot of the people on this site. they just assume its slow cause its a 4-cylinder. they think that engine size is everything. when cosworth is producing a 2.65L v8 for the champcars that produces 800HP and spins to like 22k rpm they just threw displacement out the window. its not all about engine size anymore. but if my 2L is at 100%VE and your 2.5L is only at 75%VE then im actually using more displacment thatn you.

with minimal work thecavy's can quite quick. same thing with honda's, mitsu's, nissan's, and any other little 4 banger. yes the 4-cylinder was designed for economy but that doesnt mean that the potential for lots of power isnt there.

I believe that. I've seen your dyno graph. Great top end! :drool: :sigh:

First off all you had a bad launch. Having a 97 Z24 I know that they are quick not fast cars. What I always say is never think you are the king of the streets cause their is always someone out their that is faster. You never know now with cars. People mod what they have and make it work. Check out www.j-body.org some people make the cavalier/sunfires really fly.

Still I would rather have an SVTC over a cavy.:cool:

Back