Ignition and Key Problems!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ignition and Key Problems!

For about a year now, I've noticed that the ignition key is difficult to insert into the ignition lock. Took it to a local locksmith recently and had a new key made, as the old one (original) was really worn out at the tip. They made two new keys and advised that I have the cylinder replaced because it has worn guides.

The other day, the key got stuck IN the ignition and wouldn't come out! I finally got it out after wiggling it and messin' with it.

SO--I guess it's time I pony up the $150-or-so bucks to replace the cylinder.

Anybody else have this problem?

I haven't had that exact problem, but my ignition is really sticky. On cold days I can't just release it to disengage the starter...I actually have to turn it backwards a little ways. Don't know what to lube it with.

Comment

Originally posted by shotwell View Post
      I haven't had that exact problem, but my ignition is really sticky. On cold days I can't just release it to disengage the starter...I actually have to turn it backwards a little ways. Don't know what to lube it with.
      Graphite?
      1998.5 CSVT, BL/MNB,#5549

Comment

I second graphite, although it doesn't help with my situation.

Comment

I had to replace my lock cylinder a couple of years ago. My key got stuck in there, and I don't remember if I got it out first or not, but I had to drill the stupid cylinder to get it out of the column. It was not fun. Once I got the new one in, it would come out correctly again, but I think the original one was so screwed up that it wouldn't come out with the release like it should. I had to buy a whole lock set from Ford, as they said the ignition was not available by itself. I had the new one re-keyed to the old keys so I wouldn't have to replace all my locks. So yeah, good times...
          98 SVT, Black, #786, 05/07/97.
          K&N, MSDS, Xcal2, Tint, Antennas, 32oz+ Cupholder, Rear Dome Lt., Koni/Eibach, DMD, Pre-98 Sails, Brake Cooling Deflectors, Sidemarkers, Etc. 161K+mi
          93 Capri XR2
          "Get the Door - It's GrooveNerd!"

Comment

I don't know how this is possible, DDV. You don't drive your car nearly enough.
            2000 Contour SE Sport
            Originator of the Beowulf Headlight Mod and the Beowulf CAI

Comment

I heard he tried to start it with a spoon once, and it was never the same after that...

Comment

Working...
              X